Ankle fracture: irritated scar after starting weight bearing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I broke my fibula 7 weeks ago. I had 7 screws and a plate fitted after a week of having a cast fitted and they realised that the boned had moved further apart and needed fixed. They put me in a boot after that. Just over a week ago I was told that I can start light weight bearing. I've been keeping my boot on whilst moving around but taking it off when sitting so that I can exercise it. Everything seemed to be going ok but then on Thursday I left the house for the first time, went out for lunch and shopped in pets at home. By the time I got home but ankle was massive and my scar was stinging like mad.

The stinging has not stopped. Did I just over do it? Is it normal for the scar to get really inflamed and sore??? I do have some movement in my ankle but after Thursday I've really struggled to get it moving again. Has anyone had scar problems?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Elevate and ice. Elevate and ice.

You should get some relief.

All just part of the healing process.

We get excited to do new things and we over do.

You'll be ok. 😀😀😀💜😀😀😀

• Posted

Thanks Karen. I've been using an ice pack that I got with my epilator, it works well to wrap around my ankle.

I'm convinced the boot is what's irritating it more, especially now that I'm having to put my foot down.

I've put on a piece of tubigrip on my ankle to barrier the my scar but I'm not sure if I'm just causing myself undue pressure?

Perhaps I'll invest in some slack socks!

The pressure is on, my sick note runs out on the 6th May and work expect me back after that!

Only have this month and next on half pay then it's nothing, so I'm probably pushing myself harder than I should.

It's been a sh*tty year!!

• Posted

I'm still in a cast for another 12 days (not that I'm counting), my scar still stings and I still NWB. Been bothering me but just sitting it out. Try to elevate as much as possible. Feeling frustrated though as I am not a person who likes to sit about. My house needs me to clean it!

• Posted

Although my hubby is fabulous about taking care of things, it's sooooooooo hard to just sit and not be able to clean the way I like to.

My sweet mom told me, "Look but don't see."

Tonight we are having a large wine tasting party. It was planned long before I broke my tibia and fibula. I had planned make our home like a Little Tuscany. I've had to just take a deep breath and give a sigh of gratitude to this wonderful man who is blasting Alice Cooper and cleaning for our guests.

I'm in a cast, NWB at six weeks, and can hop with walker.

Cast comes off Tuesday and PT begins. Hallelujah!

When I get depressed about all the things I can't do, I try to say out loud all the things I can do this week that I couldn't before.

Being idle is a strain on the mind. I guess we must grin and bear it.

Best wishes to in your recovery adventures! 😀😀🍷😀😀

• Posted

aw im sorry to hear that, maybe you did too much? 

like karen has said elevating and getting rest is really important. try not to do too much it's still early days! 

im still in my external fixator - i get it taken off on tuesday and I CANT WAIT! 

i just hope they dont cancel it or something

• Posted

Thanks Katie. I was fortunate to be given a moon boot instead of a cast so I was able to take it off and wiggle my foot a bit sooner, before I was able to weight bear.

I didn't realise that the recovery, once the 6 weeks was up and weight bearing can begin, could take as long if not longer to get through. It's very frustrating but persistent gentle exercise appears to be the best way to get back on your feet.

Also I've been using bio oil to treat the scar which has been working wonders. I would definitely recommend it.

Hope Tuesday goes well 🙌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.