Ankle fracture - lateral maleous fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my fibula right above the ankle bone the morning of my birthday ( no less) while working out. Snapped it right in half doing lateral jumps. I did this May 12, so it’s been 29 days to date. No surgery bc the bones are perfectly aligned, but wearing this stupid bootcast ( which I’ve grown to really hate), and using crutches daily. I’m only partial weight bearing.

My foot is normal colour when elevated and feels ok. When down to the ground, immediate swelling and it goes purple. I have muscle atrophy now in my calf ( significant ), that I’m concerned I’ll never get back.

I googled physio excerises last night, even though I don’t see physio until after June 21, but i just wanted to prep. Funny how those excersies look impossible to do at this point. I have No ankle definition at all, massive purple foot when down and how loosing calf muscle.

Please tell me I’ll be back to normal someday.

I’m so sick of laying around and doing nothing.

It’s so debilating.

Also, I’ve had two babies with no drugs, and this break was comparable to the pain of that.

😩 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The soft tissue and muscle will recover in time, especially if you’re motivated to do the PT. Just let the bone heal. All will be back to normal eventually. 
  • Posted

You’re going to be more normal than you feel at the moment. The purple foot will go away with time and you will gain muscle back quicker than you think. I had a trimalleolar fx less than a year ago and I just had the hardware removed 3 days ago. It was about the longest 2 months of my life initially. I’m happy for you you didn’t have to have hardware! In itself, no metal is a good thing, personally speaking-you just have to get through that boot for sure!

It’s very depressing going through ankle recovery, so much sitting, pain, difficulty doing basic things, and I can tell you’re fed up. Just know that as an active person myself, I and so many others share similar frustrations and that it does get more bearable. You’ll have a more normal foot, residual to be expected, but less than current disfunction. It takes so long to heal. 

Stay strong, you got this. Have some friends over to help you and take your mind of things or help you around the house, anything to give yourself a break from the constant struggle. I empathize with you and wish you a speedier recovery. Keep elevated any time you’re able, it helps. Best recoveries!

• Posted

Sweetest message ever.

Thank you.

I went from gym and work daily ... my kids sports ( hockey and basketball), hiking , biking , laundry , groceries , everything.

It really is misery. 

I’m trying to be positive but it isn’t easy going from over active to nothing ( as you know ).

• Posted

Going, going, going, to not! While it’s not ideal, it is a rare time to be able to check in with yourself frequently with all the down time. You’re getting there. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks and walking again proved difficult. I am in a different recovery now, with a new incision, but everything seems like no big deal in comparison this time around. You’ll be stronger mentally and physically. I feel like open heart would be easier!
  • Posted

It’s still pretty early considering the damage done, however I would suggest you look into “strain and counterstrain therapy” as it has worked wonders for me...Google it!
  • Posted

Hi Nurse Jane,

Don't worry, it does get better.

Many of us ankle patients go through a period of anxious waiting and doubt-ridden anxiety. It will pass as your ankle heals (and your emotions heal too).

At 4 weeks post-injury your fracture should be mending nicely unless there are complications. Does your practitioner talk to you at all about x-ray results and progress? Sometimes getting info from doctors can be like pulling teeth.

You should already be doing exercises to prep for the next step-- weight bearing. If your doctor okays it. you should be doing ankle rotations, toe curls, and calf pumps (all weight less of course). There are a lot of exercises for legs and calves that you can do in a lying position. If your muscle mass is wasting away you should get active right away.

Best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.