Ankle Fracture Recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am recovering from a bimalleolar fracture in my right ankle. This is my second week in the boot and I started physical therapy last week. When I put weight on my foot it is really sore and I have a really big fear of walking. Is it normal to have soreness and how do you get over that fear of walking? Any inputs or suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toria,

I can certainly sympathize with how you feel at the moment and can pretty much promise it will get better.

I am now 18 months from a trimalleolar fracture of my right ankle and surgery and when I first got my boot I wore it but didn't walk for a week due to fear, although I suffer from quite severe anxiety so was probably worse in my head than reality but was still there.

Personally I found if I sat or when I woke up it it hurt for the for 10 to 20 steps but the more I walked the better it go and eventually it stopped hurting when I first walked from not being sat.

I was told when to start physio and getting mobile again to start taking the pain killers again while making sure you don't go mad and walk miles.

In terms of getting over the fear from my own experience it depends on the severity. Mine was crippling as above but I was lucky enough to have a excellent physio who pushed me just enough to make me get on with it, and also had to start taking anti depressants. Hopefully yours is no where near that bad with the supportive words from the fantastic people here will help you get back on your feet quickly. I found this forum very helpful to hear from those who have experienced something similar.

Keep going and think positive you will get there but at the time it feels like a long road. 😃

• Posted

Thank you so much for that! Its really sore when i stand on it! So instead of me walking I hop..

• Posted

It is totally normal to have fear of walking again and the soreness will get better with some time. As I recall the boot was heavier and thicker soled than my shoe so I was putting all my weight on my foot in the boot and swinging my normal leg/foot forward as I walked then all my weight on my good foot and swinging my injured booted foot forward. I was kind of rocking side to side as I walked. Very cute. haha But I was so glad to get out of the non weight bearing toe to knee cast and to be able to walk again. You will get back to your normal life before you know and in a few years you won't think very much about this bump in your life. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Toria I am 15 weeks post op from a severe trimalleolar fracture and disclocation of the right ankle. I have been given the all clear to ditch the boot and be left in the hands of physio to get my ROM back to normal. i certainly get your fear of walking. i am currently walking with a slight limp and a stoop forward which appears to be my fearful side of walking. i dont have pain but definately have what appears to be the genuine fear of getting hurt again so my gait is a little off. i am hopeful that in time I can lose that anxiety and fear of hurting myself again. Hang in there x I would not wish these kind of injuries on anyone. They certainly test your strength and your mental well being x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.