Ankle Fracture Rehabilitation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Fractured my ankle in 2 places and dislocated. Was in a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing. Now discharged from hospital with moon boot. I am now 7 weeks post fracture and am at the lowest point. I feel like I will never walk again. I really dont know what to do as was not referred for physio. Do I continue just using the boot and hope that one day soon I can walk. We have already cancelled a holiday and have a holiday booked in 6 weeks time. I am worried that I will have to cancel this too. Is there anyone out there who are in similar circumstances who can offer me hope and advice. I really am desperate.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

ps....in regards to physio if your injury has gone through ACC you are entitled to a certain amount of subsidised physio sessions. so look up a physio that works for you and make an appointment take in any papework with your acc number and they will lodge it.
  • Posted

Hi Iris 2468

​This Iris had my accident and op. 3 months ago and am making progress, though not all plain sailing.  One thing is sure, although many of us have had similar experiences, we do not all get the same after care, physio, or advice.  Sorry to hear you are feeling so down.  I hope it helps to know others have been there too.  Despite what the medics say, do not put up with either pain nor treatment which is more painful than you can manage. 

​After 3 months I find I get much less swelling now and can walk about half a mile before leg starts to ache,  When ever I sit down I elevate leg and massage it night and morning using moisturiser.  Stiffness gradually easing, except after sitting too long and in 'first gear'.

​Last week I went to the swimming pool- adults only sesion, so no kids to fall over.  It was really good and I managed 20 lengths with no ankle pain- using a variety of leg movements.  I was concerned about getting out, as the steps are steep and narrow, but it was not really a problem as I was able to pull myself up and put foot sideways on the steps.  After warm shower I felt I was walking on air.  I would recommend going to the pool even if you are not a swimmer as simply walking about in water uses all the key muscles and you can do your physio exercises holding the bar or side of the pool.and no weight- bearing involved.  I am so impressed with the result that I plan to go twice a week from now on.

​Don't lose heart.  There is light at the end of the tunnel but it's not the same distance for all of us.  When I look back to where I was a month ago I can measure progress listing things mentally as the change from can't do to can do.

Nag the health professionals. It's you and your body not theirs!

Best wishes

• Posted

Iris, I broke my ankle on February 16th and had surgery February 20th (see my posting) and have to be NWB for a total of eight weeks, so I stiil have a ways to go before I can even put my put down.  So believe me I feel your pain.  From everything I've read, and continue to read, it's just a damned slow process but eventually you will be able to walk normally again.  It may take months, however, not weeks.  They say at the one year mark you should pretty much be there.  I know that sounds like an eternity but all things considered, we're much better off than many people with life-changing injuries.  Hang in there!  Ron in New York
    • Posted

Ron, my doctor told me that it takes a full year. You are right about us being luckier than a lot people. Thanks for being positive.
  • Posted

Just an update to all of you who have responded and offered me advice and encouragement. My GP has now made a referral for physio for me however in the meantime I have continued to do ankle exercises which allowed me to walk with 2 crutches and moon boot. In the last week I have given up the moon boot at home and am managing with trainers or Crocs (a consultant recommended these for use in the house instead of slippers) so I got myself a pair and found them to be sturdy for walking. Yesterday I managed to make a dinner and walked a few steps with only one crutch. I feel the improvement in one week has been phenomenal and I am actually seeing light at the end of the tunnel for the first time.

Dont get me wrong I am still in pain and ankle is sti swelling but not so much that I cant walk through it. I thought this positive news may go some way to encouraging you all in similar positions, especially as I had become so low and desperate. I am now looking forward to continued improvement and hopefully a full recovery. Good health to you all. Iris

• Posted

Hi Iris !

Great news and encouragement to the rest of us ! Well done ! 😄👍

• Posted

Well done, you to keep persevering.  In a couple of weeks you will look back and realise what strides(literally) you have made and this will give you encouragement as you continue to progress. 
  • Posted

So pleased to hear your good news Iris.  It all takes time but you are now on the way to becoming fully mobile again. When I first had my plaster removed 8 weeks ago I couldn't move my ankle but now after physio each week and manipulation of the heel and ankle the last 4 visits I am able to walk almost properly.  It does hurt at times but less so now.  Keep up the exercises. I too wear crocs but a size bigger so my swollen ankle will fit into them.  They are great and give good support.  I think most of my shoes will have to go to the chariey shop if my swollen ankle doesn't improve!
    • Posted

Brilliant to hear of your improvement too. It does take a long time which I never appreciated until now. I know what you mean about shoes I have already sent most of my heels to charity but as long as I can walk that is the main thing. Take care and hope you see improvement in that swelling.
    • Posted

I'm bummed...heels are out after all this? Even a year out? 
  • Posted

Hi All another update. Think I may have overdone it a bit the other day as have had a lot of discomfort since which has resulted in restricted walking. I have been to physio today which I booked privately and was pleased to learn that the pain is not from the break site but from the soft tissue damage which takes a long time to heal (one step forward two steps back). However I have been given a lot of advice and encouragement and strengthening exercises to do so with a bit of luck all will be well. I am focussing on my longed for holiday in May so need to keep focussed.

Will update again in a few days with hopefully some further improvement. Take care all.

• Posted

Great news Iris! It's so great to hear!! It makes sense...even with sports, the muscles get real sore when you work new areas of the muscles and then they grow and are stronger the next time you go to use them, as long as you keep at it. It must be reassuring to know you are helping things vs. hurting them though!
    • Posted

It certainly is. For the first time in 9 weeks I actually feel that I know what I am doing and that it is helping. That light is getting closer....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.