Ankle fusion + 12 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an ankle fusion 12 weeks ago. I'm due back to see the ortho surgeon next week. what can I expect.

I have had 7 weeks non weightbearing in a cast( well 2 weeks in a back slab, then a full cast). now 5 weeks in an Aircast boot.

what's next, boot goes..hopefully?

will I still be on crutches?

I'm expecting it to hurt more at first when I start walking, although at least my feet will be level, so wont be limping as much!

are others still in pain after 12 weeks? I'm now less pain than after my op BUT I'm still in pain, so an op to stop pain hasnt reduce the initial pain! will it get better without the boot and what timescale?

what shoes are best after an ankle fusion? trainers are comfy, but seen comments that rocket bottom shoes / trainers are better...thoughts please.

just thinking of what to discuss with the surgeon , what is normal etc

any advice appreciated , many questions

thanks

Anne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

well I didn't have ankle Fusion I just had a broken ankle. I had a cast and then I had the boot for about 5 weeks. that was all non-weight-bearing. When I went back to the orthopedic I still had to keep the boot but she said I could start putting full weight I still had to keep the boot but she said I could start putting full weight on it. they wouldn't let me out of the boot they wouldn't let me out of the boot until I could actually walk on it. It was hard and quite painful. I think it was another five or six weeks when I went back she said I could go into a she said I could go into a small ankle cast. I was so happy at that point to get out of the boot and it was easier to walk. I still have pain and been going to physical therapy I still have pain and been going to physical therapy and walk with a limp. They are working on my gate and I guess I'm having a hard time wind bend my knee and when not to it's it's hard you really have to learn to walk again. you wouldn't think something you've done all your life you would have to learn all over but you do. The pain is much less now. it does take a while. Try not to get depressed. There is a certain amount of depression that goes along with this. There is a certain amount of depression that goes along with this and the doctors really don't discuss that with you. I finally started driving about 10 days ago and I feel much better but I still but I still can't go back to work. I work in a hotel standing at the front desk for eight hours a day so I can't go back there until I am fully released. The doctor put that I can do like 30 minutes sitting 30 minutes standing but they said I have to be completely released. luckily I am only working part-time now but I still have lost a lot of money. It happened on July 3rd so it's been 4 months almost. I wish you luck let us know how it goes

• Posted

so sorry about all the repeating. I am speaking this because I'm very slow at texting. even when I go back and check it seems to double text things once I hit post.

• Posted

I'm 3 and half months and there's a hell of a lot of depression that goes with it.I honestly can't believe it. Just 2 hours walking and I'm shot.I'm having a real hard time coping. You advance to a new level and you stay on a plateau like frozzen in time til you hit next level..unlike other recoveries where everyday gets better.I wish I could be more optimistic but this sucks!

• Posted

I know I go through that to. Everyone expects you to be happy and that it is getting better. Some days it feels better and others its like you are never getting better. It really does suck and I never would have thought it would be this hard. I have read some of your posts and like you I have always been extremely independent. They don't give you any warning about the depression. I thought I was just being weak which is something I usually am not.Reading these posts have helped a lot but when you try to talk to family or friends that haven't been through this they just dont get it. I have watched my 4 and 2 yr old Grandsons 5 days a week and haven't been able to do much of that. The last 2 wks I have tried to help because my son needs to go back to work and his wife just had a 3rd baby 8 wks early. I can't stand long more than probably 15 minutes or so and am in pain. I love my Grandkids more than anything in this world but don't know if I can handle it anymore. The new baby hadnt even come home yet. I like you get tired very quickly and no one wants to hear that. Sorry this is so long but I feel we are going through similar things. I do really think we will get better but I totally understand your frustration. I feel like people think I am dragging this out and nothing is further from the truth. I really hope you start feeling better soon. keep posting.

• Posted

I also have my doubts on Physical therapy. Some days they act like Im not doing ad well as I should and not doing the exercise. I have been doi ng them every day and when I went back last. week I was in pain and when I told them I was doing exercises every day he looked at me like I was crazy and said dont do that. Only do when you feel like it. Dont push. I really wanted to scream. They are not cheap either.

• Posted

hope you get better soon. I'm hoping for my boot to be removed

• Posted

i also broke my ankle 7/5

Surgery 7/11

4,weeks in cast, then 4 weeks in boot with 25% body weight

AT 7-8 week went full body weight in boot and began PT

Im now 14 weeks post op, no boot, Im wearing slip on Skeechers and walking freely, some pain, some numbness still in foot

We are all different

I tell everyone my left foot rules my life If we have a good day or not depends on how the ankle is feeling

But for most part I can do most of what I used to Just much slower

I was just so thrilled to finally get out of the house and drive that the pain and stiffness are bearable

• Posted

glad you are getting more mobile. it's good to be able to drive (I've an automatic car and it's my left foot). I hated having to rely on everyone. however I have appreciated my friends and relatives who have helped so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.