Ankle fusion 17 weeks on

Posted , 3 users are following.

fantastic news today i can finally wean off my aircast boot. I thought that would have been the case 4 weeks ago but my surgeon said it hadn't completely joined. I was very down after this.

I'm so happy that I can see the light ahead. my foot is still sore and huge. obviously the first few weeks there is no point in buying expensive shoes as my foot will hopefully change size. Any advice on the best type of footwear in the next few months

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are u going to an ankle brace? I did and it was not uncomfortable in itself at all but you will need a little more room in your shoe. Once the swelling goes down it will be better. Out of all the shoes I have only 1 pair of sneakers would fit. I go back to work this weekend. Its a lot of standing at a hotel front desk so I have to get a new pair of work shoes. I don't have to wear the ankle brace when I'm home or not doing much but she said at work I should. We will see how it goes.

• Posted

i broke my ankle four weeks ago in three places so obviously l still have a way to go. but l was wondering if you have severe swelling pain like me? Also have you kind of lost movement with some of your toes? l have the doctor seems to think its nothing to worry about.

sorry if im being nosey im just curious, my swelling is very painful st the momment

• Posted

Yes that is normal. I am just going back to work this weekend after breaking my ankle on July 3rd. you definitely will have swelling I still have some but it's way down . The funny feeling in your toes is normal. I also had something I think they call stingers. It's like little muscle spasms that sting and come and go. I haven't had those in a while. trying not to get too depressed. It really will get better. it is a long process but I'm I'm finally at the end and there were times when it just didn't seem like it was ever going to end.

• Posted

yes l do get those stingers they're horrid. i am certainly getting depressed and angry with myself because every little thing is so hard. but its nice to talk to someone whose been there thanks

• Posted

sorry for the repeats I was speaking and it tends to not come out right. best of luck to you.

• Posted

sorry for the repeats I was speaking and it tends to not come out right. best of luck to you.

• Posted

• Posted

I dont have a brace, but I have been told to walk around the house without my boot and wear the boot when walking any distance, then gradually decrease the time in the boot.

my ankle is huge! it was always swollen after the op but it's even bigger now. its very painful to walk on again, but having been immobilized for 4 months its understandable. I'm hoping to get to the pool this weekend. That may help the ankle but will definitely help my mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.