ankle fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I need to establish contact with anyone who has fusion AFTER a T.A.R. my replacement has failed and been told I've got to have a fusion. How long is recovery? How have people's got on after this operation. Need advice please ASAP.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there I know someone who had the fusion and apparently it's same recovery as tar like I had but he walks much better than me and pain free so it sounds hopeful for you the recovery is a pain but if you end up walking normal and pain free it's worth it I was unfortunate and my own bone started growing back and restricting my walking and giving me pain but just 11days after ankle arthroscopy to shave my bone away I'm hoping this helps me hope you get a good result and pain free I know the person I know is fantastic after the fusion so good luck regards Meg

• Posted

Thanks meg, I only got my T.A.R done in November but been in constant pain since. I got mine done in wrightington in the UK. And at first they said the wouldn't be able to fuse after tar, but suddenly they can. I'm rather confused. Thanks again for your advice. Wayne
    • Posted

Hi Wayne they offered me the fusion and said I might still need the tar so I said I'm not going through2 ops so I got the tar I'm in Scotland I can't understand why they can give the fusion now I hope they can and it helps you I know I've suffered worse since the tar hopefully this arthroscopy helps hope you get release ask me anything anytime your more than welcome to ask me anything kind regards Meg
    • Posted

Hi meg all I've been told is that the tar has failed so they now need to fuse my ankle. I belive it's with bone graft. I can't go on with the pain I'm in now and really hope they know what they are doing I'm 42 and not coping to we'll.
    • Posted

Hi Wayne I wondered how on earth they could do that it makes sense now hope it works let me know I'm 62 far from overweight so they couldn't say it was my weight that caused my pain I'm hoping this helps me anything is worth a try I think I say my age I'm 62 going on 18 I don't let anything hold me back you keep your chin up I think your op will work I have a good feeling about it I had breast cancer last year and told everyone I would dance my way through it and I have if there's anything I can help you with just ask good luck Wayne king regards Meg
    • Posted

That's good to hear glad you are on the mend. I'm from Liverpool I'll keep u informed regards wayne.
    • Posted

Thanks Wayne honestly things will get better you stick in I said I'm 62 but I'm going on 18 in my head I go to loads of music gig's just back from Dublin seeing the script so try not to let things hold you back if I can do it you can your stronger than you think I'm Glaswegian very like folk from Liverpool you mind keep going and keep me posted I'll talk you through it regards Meg
  • Posted

Hi Wayne, I've been wondering how you are doing. I suspect the only reason your TAR failed was because of the infection. It will be difficult to clear the infection with the metalwork still in place and they shouldn't really put any screws in until the infection is clear. Be sure to ask them exactly how they intend to proceed and don't be fobbed off. Best wishes, Gill
  • Posted

hi gill, im just bk from seeing my sergeon. ive now been told that my implant was a salto talaris implant that i had fitted  and not the star i was led to belive. there was no serious infection that would cause it to fail, but now he has looked at my xrays again hes saying that the plastic between the implants have broken. i dont know what to belive now, having first been told that i might lose my leg to oh we can try and fix it...so confused at the moment.
  • Posted

Hi Wayne, I'm not a medic but I do have family with medical qualifications. As I understand it, any ,any, any infection in a TAR is serious. As you probably know, STAR stands for Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement, the Salto is a prosthesis made by another company. I believe it to be more modern but quite tricky to fit. It's the skill of the surgeon that makes the difference. You really need a surgeon who's done hundreds, not tens of procedures. You are within your rights to ask for a second opinion before you let anyone near your ankle again and if I were you, that's what I would be doing. All the best, Gill
    • Posted

Hi gill, the thing I don't get is that he told me today that the plastic has broken between the two main parts of the implant I had another xray today and he showed me it. But I've got a photo on my phone of an xray taken on 22/1/15 that shows the exact same image with the part broken. So in a nut she'll I've been left to walk in agony for over 6 months. I want to find out why this has happened. I've had over 15 xrays ct scans mri scans pet scans ect and not 1 person has picked up on this...fuming lol
    • Posted

Hi Wayne that's absolutely disgusting what kind of treatment is that you wouldn't leave an animal in pain let alone a human being I feel so sorry for you even my husband says that's disgusting I hope they get you in soon and get you pain free at least you have got to the bottom of it but think I would be tempted to get another surgeon and seek legal advice especially when you have that on your phone really hope your put through as urgent for your surgery and you have success this time I understand your anger it's no wonder but at least you now know it's just a disgrace the last X-ray shows that's what was wrong and you have been left in pain hope everything goes well regards Meg
    • Posted

Thanks meg, I was thinking of taking legal advice but was worried that if I do they may not treat me. It's just bothering me as to why after numerous xrays, ct scans,pet scans mri that no one picked up on it..my friends in-laws in florida both orthopaedic surgeons looked at a pic of my xray 3 days ago and straight away he said it had failed. Why did it take mine 6 months..are they trying to hide something maybe? Regards wayne
    • Posted

I wouldn't make anything of it until after your op still think you will have a claim for negligence Wayne play it by ear and wish you all the luck you certainly deserve it regards Meg
    • Posted

Thanks meg for all your messages of support it really means alot, I'll keep you posted over the next couple of weeks..wayne
    • Posted

Hi Wayne your more than welcome I'm here when you need to talk to someone and will be willing everything to go well for you regards Meg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.