ankle fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I'm new to group have osteoarthritis in my right ankle and lower back. I can barely walk as its really painful. My consultant reckamended I have it fused. Just wondered if anyone has had it done and if so how they found it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie 

I have had my right ankle fused 12 years ago and have just had my left ankle fused on the 22nd of July this year . I have just got out the cast this week and am now wearing a boot suport to allow the muscle to build up....it feels very weak and painfull to put any weight on it at the moment I think in about four weeks I will be riding a bike and walking without crutches to further build muscle ....in the last few days I can feel a diferance in pain level in foot is much less ...Debbie this is a slow process to get to full recovery but it will be worth it in the end ..I plan to do the hyndland way in scotland it's a 100mile walk in lovely countryside next July 2016 by that time it will have been a year and would almost be full fuesed and pain free ...this is a cure for athritis in the ankle it just a lot of hassle to get there but very much worth the hassle ...you will be able to do again what you did in sport before your arthritis just prepare for a lengthy recovery 

good luck 

• Posted

I had arthritis in my ankle very bad and painful. I had a total ankle replacement in June and am walking easily now with diminishing pain each day. Hardly notice it now and think it will be gone entirely at the 5-6 month mark.

You perhaps should check to see if it's a option for you before us go ahead with the fusion which can have knock on effects for knees and hips.

there are good discussions about it on this forum somewhere if you search.

Good luck whatever you choose.

• Posted

Thank you I will ask consultant if this is an option before I make my decision thank you for replying to me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.