Ankle fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am due to have surgery for hind foot and mid foot fusion and Achilles lengthening next month and I understand from my surgeon that this could take more than four hours to complete.I am 70 and it has been suggested that I have a spinal anaesthetic and I was wondering if anyone else has had this and could offer any advice.I would love to hear from anyone who has had this done.Thankyou Nonita

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had both of my ankles done. And two screws put in both with ankle fusion. In both legs I had nerve blocks. In the left leg it didn't work...but the most recent surgery (the right) the nerve block worked!!! The pain has been less severe, and I would highly recommend getting the block. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi nonita, I had orif surgery in March, and had spinal anaesthetic. It is much better than normal anaesthetic and also more safe. You feel better after the operation and it is also better for pain, as you have no feeling from the waist down. By the time the feeling returns you are on pain meds. I really recommend the spinal. Good luck and a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hi,

My partner is a mental health nurse and sees the results of older patients suffering from traumas after a general anaesthetic.

She insisted that I have a spinal block for my Total Ankle Replacement and I did have to ask for it.  I think a GA is their default.

It is painless though a little uncomfortable as it takes effect.

However, none of the awful after effects of a GA, particularly at our age (me 68)

Good luck,

Paul

• Posted

They gave me an epideral when I had my broken ankle screwed together in October. They also gave me a strong sedative that put me out for the duration of the surgery. Don't be overly afraid of that form of anesthesia. I think it's better and less risky than general anesthesia.

• Posted

I had tendon lengthening at 2014 and about to have a triple or tn fusion. I had a genral anesthesia and spinal anesthesia. I had no pain. After surgery I wad numb for a long time below my stomach

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.