Ankle Fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am now 9 weeks post op, in a moon boot. My doctor said I would know when I had done too much walking. I find that my ankle hurts all the time not where the fusion is but both sides of my ankle. It doesn't seem to be getting better. Is this usual? I spent most of yesterday resting and went out for dinner last night, didn't have to walk to far still in lots of pain went I got home. Taking Panadol Osteo for the pain.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marian,

It's a long recovery, I am post op 14 weeks and I fractured my

right ankle, I just started to drive and my both sides hurt too.  

I think what I'm feeling are the pins? Not sure cause it's still swollen.  

• Posted

I think I am going to try and see the surgeon this week, not suppose to see him till 12/4. I would like to know what is going on. How often do you see your doctor?
    • Posted

I go monthly to the surgeon.  

I also fractured three bones and dislocated foot when I took a slip on ice.  Not sure what type of fracture you experienced.  

I see my surgeon once every month now.  

I was told I can get the hardware out by the summer. 

I have 13 pins, and one plate.  

The turning point for me was 13 weeks.  I also get pt twice weekly, and practice my exercises at home a lot. 

I was told the feeling around the ankle bones is the fibrous tissue that has to mend.  

Not sure if you experienced a lot of burning when you first started to full weight bear.  That is the nerves regenirating.  

• Posted

I am 5 months post op. Just started driving more regularly this week. It's a long recovery but I must look at how I have improved over the previous day or week. After I started PT and out of boot (NWB for 3 months!) I had a setback because the nerves, muscles and tendons are waking up. Pain like electric shocks. But pushing through with PT and working on exercises at home, I'm getting better each day although slowly. Patience is the key and trying to keep a positive attitude. This won't be forever although it seems like it.

Hang in there!

• Posted

Saw the surgeon yesterday the fusion is fine, however, now back non weight bearing for another 4 weeks and then operation to remove the screws. He seems to think that is what is giving me all the pain and slowing up my recovery. Fingers crossed, I'm lucky I live in Australia so can do all my exercises in the pool. smile

• Posted

Hi. I had an ankle fusion 9 years ago. 3 months non weight bearing, then 3 months in boot. Was told to expect it to take about 12 months before it would feel better, and that was the case. Don't rush your recovery. Try to keep your foot elevated as much as possible. Long term, apart from not being able to run, was great. I was much more active than before the fusion.

• Posted

Hi Guys,

Now 10 weeks, I am finding it really hard. I am in the wheelchair most of the time however, sometimes I need to walk only short distances. It hurts like hell and need to take pain meds. I am really starting to get scared that taking out the screws will not be the answer. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would post an update, had the screws removed 27/4 then non weight bearing, then weight bearing. Last Thursday 25th May no more boot. Full weight bearing on ankle it is ok, I know I need to learn to walk again. See physio next Monday, am wearing an ankle strap and when I go out wear my joggers, however, notice that my ankle swells severely, I am wearing short socks, should I wear longer socks to alleviate some of the swelling? I know sometimes I do a little too much, however, it is so exciting being out of the moon boot. After 18 weeks.  Also have been seeing the Chiropractor so that she can realign my body afte the moon boot. Only found out about even up last week. 

Cheers

Marian

• Posted

I didn't have a total ankle fusion, just one of the joints was fused (the talonavicular joint). I'm 4.5 months post op and I still have to wear a compression sock to keep the swelling down. My doctor said that I should expect the swelling to last 6 to 12 months.

I'm sorry that you didn't find out about the Even-up until last week. Fortunately, I read a forum where people were talking about it before I ever had surgery so I was able to have on ready when I got into the boot. I don't think I would have been able to stand it otherwise. My non-surgical leg has a knee replacement so I worry about that.

• Posted

You'll feel better after you see the PT. Don't overdo it now that you're free - I did and it'd take 3 days to recover. It still takes awhile to recover & im exhausted at the end of the day but doc and pt say that is normal. Compression stockings will help the swelling.

• Posted

Hi Marian,

I'm glad to hear you had the hardware removed.  I too felt at a standstill with my recovery and found it so difficult to walk, the excruciating pain of something rubbing on both ankle made it difficult for me to walk.  

After having broken 3 bones and a dislocated foot 24 weeks ago, I had 13 screws and a metal plate removed from my ankle 3 (at 21 weeks).  I can say having the hardware out has made such a tremendous gain in my healing process for me.  No pain anymore...

I was suppose to be non weight bearing for two weeks after hardware removal but my surgeon said after the xray he took the day of surgery he told me I can walk as tolerable.  I am now walking (practicing heel toe and pushing off my toe as per physical therapist instructions.)  The three incisions are still healing.  For the most part, I am now able to make circular motions with my ankle and have no pain(still stiff and swollen).  It amazing, I am hoping I will be able to resume normal activities within two months post surgery, thats what the goal of the physical therapist has set for me.  I am 53, and I must say this is one of the hardest tramas to get thru, but having close friends and family really do help.  

Good luck to you..Stay positive..

• Posted

Good luck with your recovery.  I am facing ankle fusion and I will be following your progress.
    • Posted

Hi Suze,

I am really happy with things so far. Before you have your surgery get checked out by a Chiropractor to make sure your already in good shape. It really is a hard slog non weight bearing and being only able to rely on one leg and foot. Then when you start weight bearing with the moon boot it puts more stress on your good side. Try and get an even up or a shoe that is the same height as the moon boot. I have more pain from my hip than from my fuzed ankle. Hope that helps. On the non weight bearing, I used a wheelchair watched movies, read a large amount of books and played games on my computer and phone. Friends came and took me out which was lovely to get out and about. I live alone, ordered my groceries online and my wine. haha. Thank god for the internet.

• Posted

Yes the chiropractor helped a lot. I was going to one before I broke my ankle. But 3 months NWB on a scooter sometimes my back hurt worse than my ankle. Couldn't get in to see her for a few months. Now I'm back realigned. Between the chiro, PT, massage therapy and myself, I feel on the road to recovery after 6 1/2 months. Now with our pool open I know that'll help. But I still realize it'll be 12 months till full recovery. I must focus on not overdoing it!

• Posted

Thank you.  I really appreciate the information.  The surgeon I went to seemed to be reluctant to help me.  He did tell me it was a long recovery and just appeared to be putting me off.  I had told him up front that I am single, live alone and really have no one to help me 24/7.  After finding this forum and reading the comments from all of you I think I now understand why he acted the way he did.  I am 63 and my ankle problem is due to osteo arthritis.  Best wishes to you.
    • Posted

Hi Suze,

The other thing give your place a good clean before your op, I still haven't cleaned properly since before the op, the windows are appalling and the floors have been cleaner, I just do little bits at the moment. Must admit in the beginning friends did do some things for me. Also don't forget to have things at wasit height. I moved the microwave down onto the kitchen bench, Put my muesli with the coffee and tea. Hope that helps. I could do my washing and used an airer to dry things with. The sheets and towels went into the dryer,  Ask me any questions if your unsure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.