Ankle Fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

Preparing for the 12 week non-weight bearing period...

Any advice ? I have a husband and 2 very active Australian shepherd dogs I take care of on a daily basis. Husband was awesome in recovery of first ankle surgery but I'd like to ease his load at home more.

Don't have family here.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ali,

A wheelchair helped me and everything in the kitchen was bench height. I was lucky and had someone come in and clean for me once a week for 4 weeks. Lots of frozen meals. Ordered groceries online. Not sure about your active dogs, I have a small terrier who misses her walks, I will make up for it when I am walking again.

• Posted

My husband would make me coffee before he left for work each day.  I would use the crutches and the wheel chair to get around our place during the day.  I would hire a student to come take the dogs out for their daily exercise each day as they will still need to use up some of their energy.  Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
  • Posted

I had a trike and it was great. I have two dogs which they had to get use to my inability to do too much. Believe me the more you do not do the better you will be. I put a plastic dish pan in my bathroom sink to bath and put my trike right up to sink sideways to put my bad foot up. I would do the same in kitchen with trike to wash up a few dishes. I watched alot of Netflix and read. So hope you do ok, it will at times seem to last forever but week by week things will get better.
  • Posted

Knee scooter for inside of the house helped. Although I flipped over on it twice! I had 2 dogs to take outside, by myself. So I used a walker and hopped one one leg to get dogs out. I used crutches for extensive walking. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.