Ankle Fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 81/2 weeks in from a double ankle fusion with an arch reconstruction. I go on the 19th for X-rays & to see my surgeon. I'm sure I will be told to start partial weight bearing in my aircast boot. I have two concerns. First, I'm still having issues with my ankle. The pain feels deep in the bone. I'm not sure if it's the hardware or scar tissue or maybe something worse. I know I couldn't put pressure on my ankle right now like this. Secondly, the incision is so tight..how does it ever get stretched? I massage it several times a day with bio oil but it's still tight. The skin on top of my foot is also tight. I have done nothing but worry these last 81/2 months. Has anyone had similar problems as these? I'm so scared this surgery won't be a success. I need my other foot done also but the surgeon won't talk about it until we see if this one worked. I would appreciate any advise you have for me. Thank you. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi barb, Im. 5 1/2mths dwn the line and still going through the same. I don't have tightness on the scars every day. But can really feel it when the foot swells badly. Very tight over the top of my foot on the bend which stops me from walking without a bad limp. It's very tight at the back of my ankle with a lot of pain there. I've had enough now. Just hope yrs done last as mine have, as I've not felt any change for weeks now. 😢 😢. Sx

• Posted

Sandra that's awful. I pray to God that this pain in the ankle goes away. I also have that pain over the top of my foot. I've been trying to flex it to no avail. My Achilles where they did the arch reconstruction has no give to it. This is all so scary. I pray each day gets a little better for you. You'd think that far into it you'd have more improvements. I just want my life back as we all do but without pain. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Oh Barb,

I feel so bad for you, this sounds beyond dreadful.  I can only offer words of encouragement as I have no clue how painful and frightening this must be for you, and all the worry this has caused you.

I hope that someone on this site can offer more than I can, but I will keep positive thoughts for you that your recovery process gets easier.

Do your best to stay positive, but I know that must seem almost impossible at this point.

Please keep me posted as to how you are keeping.  Take care Barb.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm 7 and a half months post ankle fusion and still not fully back to normal at all. Still have pain rolling through the foot and also at the back and side of the ankle. I also had a cracking sensation recently from around the ankle which was really worrying me. I had an X-ray yesterday and they said it all looks ok and that the cracking I'm feeling is the big tendon over the top of the foot, stretching and readjusting to life after fusion.  It's all been so difficult and still is, so I really feel for you.  They keep saying it'll all get better after a year, which I really really hope is true although that still feels a long way off.  Just keep in mind that although the recovery period is really long it does seem to be a pretty successful op in the longer term.  Good luck with your X-rays. 

• Posted

Thank you Tessa. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all fast forward our healing to twelve months later. I said I wish they had of put me in a coma & woke me up when I'm all healed. I'm so thankful for this site. To hear what others are going through is comforting knowing what I'm experiencing might be normal. I love hearing from others who have been there & are now on the other side enjoying their freedom. I hope we all get there sooner rather than later. Good luck to you & I hope you heal soon. 

• Posted

Hi Barb, yes a fast forward button would be fantastic! I spoke to a nurse who'd said one of her ex patients was an ex SAS tough guy soldier and he'd said ankle fusion was the worse experience he'd been through!  So it's not just us finding it hard! Good luck and stay positive! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.