Ankle fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

i haven’t had the fusion done yet. Problem for me is I have to work. Has anyone been in the same position I’m in now?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lilly

Not with an ankle fusion but a total ankle replacement.   It was very frustrating as I'm sure you appreciate.   It was done five years ago and is needing to be completely revised and as a revision will be very much more difficult so I'm dreading the whole business.  I'm not sure how long it took to be free of crutches but guess about six weeks, but for a fusion I understand that it is longer,  but this time I have a cunning plan that may be something that will interest you<G>

I've bought an iwalk 2.00  (go to Amazon and look at all the user reviews and videos) which allows me to walk and move around totally hands free. Being stuck with the limitation of crutches was a killer for me and I was determined to find a better way ahead of the surgery.   I've been practicing with it and can move easily around the house and manage stairs doing everything that I would normally do.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Lilly.

Yep I had my fusion done in May after putting off for 2yrs. I work full time but I’m lucky in the respect that I get 6mths full pay and then 6mths half pay.

My work also have to amend my duties to make it a bit more of an office based role split with working on a busy trauma unit/hospital ward.

Can I ask what is it that you do? And are you based in the UK?

If you are you have lots of worker rights and protection. I looked into it a lot as I have had 7 ankle ops now so I wanted to what I was and wasn’t entilited too.

Claire. Xx

• Posted

I’m in the USA in a state called Colorado. My fusion is coming from a medication I took yrs ago. I had knee replacement and it’s made thing worse. I’m looking to go back to work only p/t it’s a have to situation. Just trying to figure out how long I  can go with a steroid shot. Scary situation for me. 
    • Posted

I have nothing like that here. I’m in a situation here that I have to go back to work at least p/t. I’m wondering how long I can put off surgery with a steroid shot?
    • Posted

Aww I’m sorry to here that, sounds like you have been through it. I’ve never had a steroid infection as my ankle was bone on bone OA. I managed to put mine off for 2yrs with the help of pretty strong pain meds but I wonder if I did more damage than good.

I’d have an honest chat with your surgeon and see what he/she recommends. 

Hope everything goes well for you. Claire. Xx

• Posted

Lilly, I am in a very similar situation with my job. They will hold for my short term disability of 26 weeks. But after that they can backfill once I go on long term. I just do not see me being back on 26 weeks. I also have had total knee replacement on the leg I broke my ankle. This is of concern because of the dr wants to place rod in tibia and will there be enough length to do so. I hope for the best for you. Just remember also that you job will be protected for at least 12 weeks under fmla.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.