Ankle Fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am getting a ankle and subtalar fusion in a few weeks.   I’m wondering how I am going to manage getting around.   Everything I read says it is horrible.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

I got around in a wheelchair for the first six weeks.

• Posted

Marian,   How didn’t you transfer yourself from wheelchair to bathroom stool.    I’m very worried about not being able to do these things by myself.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy,

I really don't remember, I stayed in the hospital for a week because there was no one to  look after me at home. When I got home I spent quite sometime in bed, sleeping and reading. I was lucky friends would come around and take me out in my wheelchair. I do remember spending lots of time on the couch. The painkillers zonked me out too for a while.

• Posted

Yea, I think I need to spend more time in the hospital.   The doc said not to be in a hurry to get home and stay a few days to get familier with a walker or crutches.   

What helped you the most when you had to get around?    I’m thinking a wheel chair.

• Posted

I had a wheelchair it was great, I moved the microwave down to bench height so that I could cook meals, had my groceries delivered, my wine delivered and did have a cleaner for about 4 weeks, she changed my sheets and put the washing on for me.  Then I had friends come and change my sheets, and wash them for me. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I had a showerchair in the shower, so I could sit and wash myself. 

• Posted

Hi Marian when you first started partial weight bearing was it painful. I've been in tears today for the first time as I feel it's all going backwards now. Am in aircast boot but ankle is very sore and when I try weight bear pain shoots through ankle whereas I had no pain before. I'm 8 weeks post op.

• Posted

Alison, are you still on pain meds?  I’m wondering how long it takes for the pain to go away.   
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

I think that it was painful to start with, remember you have been non weight bearing for 6 weeks, all the muscles and tendons are starting to work again, however, if you are concerned I would suggest going back to the doctor.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I stopped pain meds 5 days after surgery had no pain just the odd twinge but now I'm in boot, 8 weeks later, I am taking pain relief as and when I need to. I'm hoping it's just the readjustment to walking again although it is quite sore on the underneath of my heel. I'm wondering if that's where one of the screws are? I think this is the hardest part of the journey which I wasn't prepared for.

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

I am almost 10 weeks post subtalar fusion.  My knee scooter was a godsend for 8 weeks or so.  Once you are partial weight bearing, the scooter is nice to rest your knee on to brush your teeth.  You can also use the knee scooter to ease onto the toilet or climb into the bath tub. 

Make sure you have plenty of soft pillows to prop your leg up on, and plenty of books or a Netflix subscription.

Other life savers were a cast cover (from Amazon) and a shower stool. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.