Ankle fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. It is likely that I will need ankle fusion in the near future. My question is has anyone been able to wear heels again since surgery? I don't mean stilletto or anything too high. I just can't bear the thoughts of wearing flats for the rest of my days. I would rather endure the constant pain that I'm in.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

Well, as it happened I just. bought my first new pair of heels today, rather smart ankle boots, which just about six months after I had the second fusion operation in June. They are for an evening occasion but felt okay just walking around in the shop. They are only an inch a half high but will do fine for me - I am 78! I think I will be better when the metalwork has come out of the last fusion because there is a bit of 'pulling' in it, not in the ankle but lower in the instep which is due to the staple, I think.

So, get good shoes and I am sure it will come good!

Cheers, Penny

• Posted

Who knows, I actually broke my ankle in 4 inch wedges, and I'm 8 months out from surgery. Tried them on a few weeks ago and walked around the house, and it was scary lol. I will give it a few more months and try again. Blah, I wear tenny shoes everywhere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.