Ankle fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

looking for any advice or information, had ankle problems for few years after having sprained it many times playing football finally rupturing the ligaments completely and needed surgery, was told 3 years ago I have arthritis and that it will eventually get worse and will require fusion of the joint, fast forward to the present and my ankle is painful and swollen constantly and running or jogging is pretty much a no no, my question is I'm only 36 and I work as a postman walking up 10miles a day for around 4/5 hours a day and right now it's only just bearable (Just) will I realistically be able to return to my normal work duties after ankle fusion? and how long would I need for recovery after surgery?

many thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been in your situation too for about 5 years. I am 33 and I dislocated my ankle and I have had major problems ever since, I take my shoe off at the end of the day and boom swollen and I cant walk! I have arthritis and like you I have been told that a joint fusion is the only solution.

I have researched it and spoken to numerous people who have had it done, the majority have had nothing but problems since having it done, they still have the pain and have a lot less movement in the joint. This was enough to stop me doing it, I am now looking into stem cell replacement as this has proven to be successful.

Best of luck.

• Posted

My best information that ankle fusion does work out but not always.

• Posted

what about an ankle replacement? maybe that would suit you better?

• Posted

thanks for the reply, to be honest a replacement had never crossed my mind, certainly something to bring up with the consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.