Ankle Fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 8 & half weeks post op. for nearly 7 weeks I had a cast and was non weightbearing which was horrendous. I now have an Aircast boot so I can walk with crutches. This is good. However I am in a lot of pain when walking and my foot and ankle has a lot of swelling. My husband keeps saying he can see a lot of improvement and I'm doing more. But I am feeling like I'm going nowhere. is this pain normal? am I expecting too much, too soon? I should be feeling happy and optimistic because I can at least walk and not just hop. however emotionally it's probably been my worst week since my op. i feel so frustrated and tearful, but my husband is so pleased with my improvement. Thoughts please from anyone further along!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

ANNE

When I was 7 weeks post op my ortho told me I could go full weight bearing in boot

I was so excited because after 7 weeks of sitting around I could finally start walking

after about 2 days my ankle started to hurt and I was back using crutches because the pain was so intense I just couldnt put all my weight on it

It seemed like a huge setback for me

Then I started PT and in just 3 weeks I'm walking with no crutches, in my sneakers at home I still use boot when I go grocery shopping

And still have pain but much less

Its crazy cause up until I started walking I had no pain at all

Its an up and down recovery for sure

• Posted

I go back to the hospital at the end of October so hopefully they will arrange PT.

good to hear you are doing so well x

• Posted

yes, right after I was told I could put weight on it I had an air boot and a walker, I had crutches in the beginning but I was a little bit scared of those. Anyway yes it's perfectly normal you have a lot of pain and swelling. I did the same thing I was very. I did the same thing I was very depressed because I just didn't feel like I was progressing as much as I should. I had surgery on July 23rd which would put me at about 10 weeks. I have been trying to walk in the air Boot and it's been very little steps and not very far. I've had three physical therapy sessions and they do seem to be helping. The swelling has gone down a lot. I can now put a shoe on which I couldn't do and the pain does seem to be getting much better. I actually overdid it one day when I first was able. I actually overdid it one day when I first was able to take some steps by myself in the boot even though they were small. I actually overdid it one day when I first was able to take some steps by myself in the boot even though they were small I got excited and I did a lot of walking. I actually overdid it one day when I first was able to take some steps by myself in the boot even though they were small I got excited and I did a lot of walking in the house and then I was in a lot of pain for the next couple of days. After that I rested my foot went to physical therapy and did the exercises that they gave me went to physical therapy and did the exercises that they gave me and did some walking but didn't push it. Actually today is the. Actually today is the first day that I pushed it and I did really well with the boot I could pushed it and I did really well with the boot I could actually feel a big difference and see a big difference. Even my husband noticed that I was walking so much better. I was told that once I could walk in the boot then I would graduate into an ankle brace which is very light and then Maybe shoes. LOL I did try on my sneaker today and it actually fit which is the first time since all this happened that it would fit my foot. I am hoping that when I go back to physical therapy on Tuesday that they will let me get out of the boot. it sounds like you are doing fine hey, like I said I felt the same way and very depressed and so many people that I read on this page have gone through the same thing and so many people that I read on this page have gone through the same thing and have also been psychologically depressed besides the pain. I've been told there will be paying for some time but I think it gets easier as we go along. My best friend's daughter who is in her 30s and I am 66 in a couple of days she had the same thing happened last year and it took her over a year. She was walking and I probably about twelve weeks but had a lot of pain and I probably about 12 weeks but had a lot of pain and still had swelling for over a year. Some people have told me that there may always be some flare-ups. I am hoping that doesn't happen and. I am hoping that doesn't happen and looking forward to the most positive outcome. Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps oh, I know it helps me just to see that other people were going through the same thing that I was. I wish you the best of luck

• Posted

this happens to me all the time and I do apologize because I speak my message instead of typing because I'm very slow. Most of the time it comes out repeating itself and misspelling so please excuse the mistakes. Best of luck thank you

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear about the hard time you're having. I had that too so it's perfectly normal. I would say however that you probably are expecting too much at this stage. My pain only went away after 12 months and the settling still happens occasionally (19 months later).

You are in it for the long haul I'm afraid but do what your doctor recommends and find things to occupy yourself mentally that you enjoy. Arrange it so that once a week you do something that you look forward to - that's so important for your mental health.

Good luck.

• Posted

thanks for that. I just needed reassurance that it was normal.

I worried that I was maybe doing too much. It's good to know other people have experienced similar problems.

I do manage to get out. I have been loaned a motability scooter so I go out with my husband while he walks the dogs. The weather has been bad though this week so i haven't been out as much!

I need to be more patient.

thanks for your reply x

• Posted

you know I really do think that the doctors should prepare patience for the mental toll that this takes. I know I wasn't really hold anything about that and I did experience depression and it actually helped when I found this that a lot of other people actually most other people going through this had the same thing that a lot of other people actually most other people going through this had the same thing. it's not a chemical depression or anything that's not going to go away but it definitely is something that's difficult to deal with. If you know that that's normal and also you see other people and can talk to other people that have been through it it makes it much

• Posted

yes I agree. I have always been active and organised. Having to rely on others and not doing a lot is the problem.

I used to swim every day and really miss it. Hey ho onwards and upwards, a new week ahead

thanks and I hope you are recovering well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.