Ankle fusion Haemophilia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thought I would post my experience. Was wary of posting as did not want to tempt fate, but 6 weeks xray tomorrow so will post. Ankle fusion, my second, other was 40+ years ago went perfectly. No pain whatsoever, no painkillers needed after initial nerve blocker for op. Cast no trouble at all and six weeks easy to pass. I read lots on here and was quite worried, but no probs at all. Got a wheel chair and crutches with those flexyfeet, plastic basket by side for all those bits and bobs. Lightweight laptop, Grab stick etc etc. Firestick, kodi and mobdro and iptv. Overkill I know, haven't mentioned sky box and VM, but technology changes and I end up with things I don't use. Spent a lot of time betting on horse racing, made several hundred pounds. Lived on healthy foods, drank lots of kefir, never felt better. Of course tomorrow is the big day, but has gone very well.

I know my experience might not be typical, but it does serve to emphasise that there are examples of very easy ops and immediate post op, whatever lies ahead. I had keyhole surgery with no bleeding courtesy of Alprolix. For a haemophilac thats quite impressive, I have had as long as two weeks in hospital after having wisdom teeth out and the first ankle op was 18 months in plaster, before and after, weeks of bleeding afterwards and terrific pain. Good luck to anyone contemplating it and hope it goes as smoothly as mine, incidentally, no one seems to notice the other ankle fusion and walked quite normally, no arthritis and no pain in forty+ years.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Steve that gives me such hope. I've had four other surgeries on my ankle & that didn't work out so I now have a double ankle fusion plus they reconstructed my arch. I'm five weeks in & still have pain in my ankle which the Doctor says he hopes will go away but can't guarantee it because my ankle was pretty scarred up from the other surgeries. To think that you have 40 plus years with no issues gives me great hope. I think the pain in my ankle will die down eventually. I'm still another seven weeks non weight bearing. I wish they had of done it arthroscopic like yours as healing time is so much quicker but they did it the way you had your first one done. It sucks being laid up this long but if I get results like yours, I will be over the moon happy. 

• Posted

I am not replying re ankle fusion . I

Had a trimallelor fracture so had screws and plate 8 weeks ago . I am boot free and FWB.  I'm doing good so yes, not all are doom and gloom.  No pain meds since the second week out. 

• Posted

Dear Steve

I'm so impressed by the success of your fusion of forty plus years ago and feel sure you will repeat that good result.

Best wishes

Richard

• Posted

Good to hear abut your 1st fusion. I had a similar experience with my 1st 9 years ago. Post-op pain was less than pre-op pain. 6wks in cast, ~6wks in boot, back at work as midwife at 4 mths. But this time, sub-talar fusion, bone fused very quickly, remarkable, considering my age and as this is 2nd fusion. But recovery so much longer, also because of age. I get frustrated thinking 'I should be able to do this' as I could 1st time round, but then have to stop and tell myself that this time is different, different joint, much older, ect. It is hard to stop and take it slow when you are so keen to 'be over it all'. Hope that doesn't put you off, if you need it, you need it. Good luck.

• Posted

Its great to hear of other people's experiences, and I am pleased that the news of 40yrs with no trouble has encouraged people to see how long they can last. I have much more movement in the foot than is normal, very flexible and strong, toes too, so that walking with a normal gait is very easy, shoes or barefoot. Good luck to all of you and hope you get a good result long term. I am now in a boot and told I can walk on it as much as I want. All good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.