Ankle Fusion Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had broken my tibia, Fibula and ankle in April of 2016 after several failed surgeries I was left with the only option to get my ankle fused! In November of 2018 I had the ankle Fusion surgery and I am having worse pain now then I did before the Fusion! If I am on my leg at all either walking, standing etc I am shot for the rest of the day the pain is so bad! Swelling is crazy also

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have been having such a hard time.

I’m almost a year post left ankle fusion and I’m in the same boat too; my pain is so much worse than it was. Add to that I have problems with my hips and tendinitis in both of my feet.

I’m waiting for my 8th op in a few weeks to take the mental work out of my ankle as my consultant seems to think the screws have gone to far into my subtalar joint. 

Have you had any fresh imaging such as X-rays/CT scans to see how the fusion is progressing?

Claire. Xx 

• Posted

Thank you for your response, I am about 6 months post surgery and pain is debilitating! I have become severally depressed from the pain! I am going back to dr this week!  I have so much nerve damage as well! I have had 5 tendon surgeries on my ankle even before I broke it so bad! My good foot (right foot) is starting to have pain as well! Feeling hopeless 😩 

• Posted

I completely get where you are coming from as I feel the same! I have tendonitis in both feet, nerve pain that feels like I’m having pins hammered underneath my toe nails and then the pain that I’ve always had on the inside of my ankle x10.

My family and friends think I’m joking when I say I want a below knee amputation; I’m not...I’m completely serious. I’ve had enough, 20yrs of ankle pain is more than anyone can deal with.

I cry a lot but I have to keep going, I’m the main income provider at home as my husband is classed as disabled as he had to stop working. We found out he has a genetic eye condition a few years ago which means he is going blind.

We have bills/mortgage to pay as well as a little boy to look after. I work 40+ hrs on a Surgical Trauma Unit (ironically) as a RGN...it’s hard and I’m so unsure of what to do next or who to turn to for support or answers. 

• Posted

Hi Patty I'm three months post surgery. I see you say that you have issues with your non surgery foot? Before surgery on my right ankle, this was my good foot. When it came time to use my left foot it wouldn't move. It's twice as swollen as my right foot and just .... I talked to my doc and he referred me to my PT who explained to me about mobility and such things so now I'm faring better. What did you end up doing with your other foot in the meantime?

• Posted

I too broke my tibia, fibia and had ground the ankle bone to nothing. I have had two fusions so far and I relate with ur pain. I'm eight months now with pain that's unreal. I started it but still no movement and lots of pain. Some days I can't walk I'm days I struggle to walk. I have no answer s I wish someone did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.