Ankle fusion - partial after 4 months. What next?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well its 4 months since my ankle fusion and was out of boot briefly but due to pain had a CT scan to check progress.

Unfortunately, its only fused over 50% of the join (in the centre) and to avoid it breaking am back in the boot for another 4 weeks before another CT scan to see if its changed. No pain walking in boot anyway!

Has anyone else had this? If so, a couple of...

Questions...

It is likely to heal further?

If not, what can be done?

Many thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Keith. It is one of several things that concerned me about. this procedure. Sorry but much as I would like to help I cannot but fingers crossed the fusion will work out soon. Richard

• Posted

Hya

Can I ask why you had a fusion done as I was told I could have this procedure but not sure what to do

• Posted

Very sorry to hear this, Keith.

Two questions, if I may:

(1) How old are you?

(2) Have you been taking any sort of a painkiller which might have slowed down the fusing process? Someone else on this forum was moaning about having been advised by a physiotherapist to take a certain painkiller, which then messed up the fusing process. Could that have played a part?

Whatever, I wish you the very best of luck with that leg.

• Posted

I would also ask about smoking and drinking as these are inadvisable for surgery recovery. Richard

• Posted

Hi WalkingW

Im 67 years old. No smoking and almost no painkiller (paracetamol for 3 days and a swig of morphine one night). Drink very little alcohol - pint of beer on saturday!

Fusion was because of arthritis - could hardly walk so no real option other than to get it done.

Thanks for best wishes - fingers still crossed!

• Posted

Keith, thanks for responding. I was asking your age because I'm 60 myself and wasn't too sure how long fusions took to fuse at my age. From what you say, I guess they take as long as they take. Do doctors do anything like advise you to take vitamin D3 tablets and calcium tablets when you're recovering, or wouldn't that help at all with the fusion process?

Personally, I've had overpronated ankles for 45 years, which until now have been kept in check by arch supports and custom-made shoes from the Orthotics Department, but something unpleasant is now going on (ankles finally grinding to a halt) and I fear it's because arthritis has invaded and is dismantling the joints. After all, I already have arthritis in my hips, knees and toes, so I really shouldn't be surprised.....only I am.

They're talking about fusing both my ankles and both my feet, effectively making me a cripple courtesy of the NHS. Can't say I fancy it, when it'd bring an end to so much in my life. A complete nightmare, in fact. So hopefully you're only having ankle fusions and will at least still be able to walk and drive again in due course. Very best of luck with it all.

• Posted

Well

The fusion was because arthritis pain was stopping me walking. Its in both ankles so the other will have to be done too at some point. Not keen for obvious reasons,but have no option.

I am taking vit D but its dubious if it helps or not, but it does no harm.

Sorry to hear it looks like you wont be able to walk again. I thought fusions would remove flexibility but allow weight to go through joints - allowing some mobility. Would seem a lot to go through if end result isnt increased mobility. Should be less pain though.

I think I've been a bit unlucky with mine! DVT and PE was not good, then fusion only partial.

Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.