Ankle Fusion post op 2 weeks and severe burning pain in the joint

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just woke up in the middle of the night with severe burning pain located in and around the joint area. I am in agony. I have it elevated and took 2 hydro morph and 2 Tylenol. I am out of T3's which worked and the pain was manageable but I was taking 10-12 per day to be comfortable but not without pain. I had to stop the hydro morph because it makes me physically ill to the point of headaches and severe bouts of vomiting so I started the T3's. The pain is subsiding now but I know it is just a matter of time before I am crawling to the bathroom to be sick. Are there any other pain medications available that I won't have to take so many of or don't make me so sick?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good morning, sorry to hear you had such a bad night, but I am in my 18 weeks of post op. You are in the beginning of all your nerve endings trying to find their way back together, mine was absolutely terrible, Took all kinds of pain meds but nothing ever made it stop but just takes alot of time, keep foot elevated and put ice pack on back of knee and elevated above heart. Your recovery is like a week at a time, every week something seemed to get better and it seemed like a life time before it got better. I was put on lyrica for nerve pain but it didn;t seem to help. Just remember we have all been where you are at. I was one who never had a night I couldnt sleep but this operation took my nights of sleeping to agony, thought it would never end. Was in hard cast 13 weeks before going into boot and now still am in recovery. So keep busy even if it means sitting up in recliner and watching a whole lot of tv thats all I did. We are all hear for you. Hope you have a better day, you will be in my thoughts 
    • Posted

Thank you Cheryl. The pain eventually subsided after taking the hydro morph and I am getting more T3's prescribed so I hope to keep the pain under control now. My husband had the same procedure done but did not experience this type of pain. He was fortunate enough to be off all pain medication after 4 days. I suppose I was scared there was a problem but it appears this type of pain is quite common. I hope you recover quickly and are up and around like new soon!

• Posted

Hi I'm 16 weeks ttc open ankle fusion i was in cast for 7 weeks 7 weeks in a air walker 2 weeks now in a normal shoe still in pain but not as bad as it was still on crutches .im sorry to tell u this but ur in for a very long hard ride . Just try to see things week on in . Take wot u need to take to get through I'm 50 year old strong fit male .but I'm really struggling . Get comfy good luck 😊

• Posted

Thank you Sean. I will try to find a comfortable position and rest as much as I can. I have three sons all of whom are under the age of five so rest is not always easy to find. I will try not to stress and ice as recommended. Wishing you a full recovery! Thanks again.
    • Posted

U to x.im sorry to sound blunt but there is no point playing it down .uve had a major op and it's going to take time .plz don't rush things .and omg 3 young kids aswell . I hope Uve got all the support u need . Like I said try to see improvements week on week good luck I'm here if u need me 👍.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.