Ankle fusion post op 8 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op ankle fusion, in aircast boot, partial weight bearing but finding it quite hard. Had no pain after surgery but have now got pain in heel when I try to weight bear and soreness on side of foot.is this to be expected?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison, yes I’d say that’s normal, at least from my experience.  I had  a lot of muscle / tendon pain when i started weight bearing as my foot readjusted to walking in a different way.  It did get better eventually but it took a while.  The recovery in general was slower and longer than I’d been expecting so just be prepared that it can take a while for everything to settle down and don’t expect too much too soon. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi Allison. That seems completely normal based on my experience.  I had a subtalar fusion and Wednesday will be my 10 week mark. Up until this past Friday, each step in the aircast boot was incredibly painful. Week 6-8 I could partial weight Bear with a crutch. Then week 9 I transitioned to a cane but was very painful. Now I can hobble without anything with some pain but much better than previous weeks. Less pain now than before surgery to be honest.  My ligaments swell and my calf and shin gets really big and swollen too.  Each day is slightly better.  Our ankles will hurt until they’re strong but won’t  get stronger unless we walk on them.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Darren, thank you for replying. Has put my mind at ease. Nobody tells you what comes with each stage so its a little bit worrying. Will take each day as it comes. I have a dull ache on my shin but the worst is underneath my heel. I have no swelling but still elivate as it seems to ease the pain. Perhaps I am expecting too much too soon!! I wish you well.
    • Posted

Im glad I could help! No two recoveries are identical, but one thing for sure is that recovery of ankle fusion can be very painful once you start walking.  My doctor tells me to just do what I can and if it becomes to unbearable, then to rest and elevate for a bit.  As long as your bones are fused, then you are good to go.   The pain can be scary at first.  It was excruciating at first but will ease with time!  
    • Posted

Hi Daren, I've decided to go back on crutches instead of walking frame as I can control the weight bearing where as with the frame I think I was putting too much pressure on foot. Seems to be working better today. I'm lucky that I have no swelling. Havnt had x ray yet but Dr. seemed happy enough and said he'll x ray in 4 weeks time. Thanks for the reassurance and I hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.