Ankle fusion - Still not walking properly?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an ankle fusion back in 2015 I walk with a severe limp which impacts on my balance lower back, hips and groin. I am always on anti inflamation tablets to mask the chronic pain. My ankle is totally fused with no movement at all. I have met others who have had their ankle fused however they have minimal movement and walk quiet normally and where normal shoes (which a can't). Is there a difference in ankle fusions, where some allow movement and some are totally fused? I desperately would like to walk without a severe limp as it brings me down mentally as i would like to be an active woman but i am extremely limited. Not to mention the chronic pain on my other joints. I would love to hear of suggestions and help to this on going problem. Yes, there is no pain in the ankle but i suffer is other ways each day.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neicy,

I had my ankle fusion Jan 2017 I have recently purchased a pair of rocker shoes and they have helped immensley in my walking. I bought them on ebay from somewhere in Hong Kong for about $27 Australian, the ones they sell in Aus are more like $300. I also have physio twice a week and see the Chiropractor twice a week to get my back and hip back into shape after wearing a moon boot for 17 weeks plus the last half of last year walking like a duck. I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Marian

I had my ankle fusion in the UK 16 weeks ago in August. I am struggling with my gait and my balance and looking for a physiotherapist recommendation.

Can you tell me who the physio is you are using and whether they are any help?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Amber,

Sorry I am in Cairns Australia so don't think my physio would be any help to you.  Good luck ask around someone should be able to give you a recommendation. All the best.

Yes they did help immensely going back now to sort out my wonky hip and gait, already seeing results after 2 visits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.