Ankle Fusion Surgery - Post Op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had plaster no weight bearing for 6 weeks, now an air cast plaster, to weight bear! I can weight bear she walk with crutches, but it is impossible to weight near the air cast plaster removed, the pain is very bad, is this normal after 6 weeks as I was expecting to start walking again but that feels along way off! Thanks for any advise/help/experience you can share 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I’ve had plaster none weight bearing for 6 weeks, now an air cast plaster, to weight bear! I can weight bear and walk with crutches, but it is impossible to weight bear with the air cast plaster removed, the pain is very bad, is this normal after 6 weeks as I was expecting to start walking again but that feel that is along way off! Thanks for any advise/help/experience you can share 
  • Posted

Yes it's normal. I was walking post op 5 months. Relax a bit. It's not a race. Good luck.🙂

• Posted

Just a question about walking. Did you do it own your own or did pt get you to ambulate? The reason I'm asking is I am having trouble weight bearing. They say it's getting osteopenia. I'm 57 year old male. Had surgery 1-22-18.

• Posted

I can put weight on it and walk with crutches in the air plaster but no chance without them at the moment 
    • Posted

Hi. Well it's a long story. I shattered my ankle in the UK and had the op . Three months later I returned home to Australia. I then started physio but couldn't weight bear for unbearable pain. At four months I was sent to see a surgeon. I saw some kid, probably just out of uni and very wet behind the ears. He told me go home , take boot off and walk. I did just that and fell straight away. I thought my foot was broken and I crawled crying to my phone. My daughter came and took me to get X-ray. Foot wasn't broken but was swollen and this put me back. I was so angry with that kid. I was 59 and found i osteoporosis and there's this kid dishing out bad orders. I was out of complete action for a week. Don't push yourself or you will go backwards. I was having physio but they can't make you walk any quicker, they only give you exercises. Take one day at a time. 🙂

• Posted

Warren regarding osteopenia. Start taking calcium, Vit K2 and Vit D. These can be all found in food but it's not always enough, especially the Vit D which is found in sunshine and salmon. These are paramount for your bones health. Don't risk your bones health. Osteopenia is one step away from osteoporosis, which puts you at a greater risk for breaking your bones and they don't just break, they shatter, which can cause complications and greater pain . Please consider this strongly. I'm talking through experience. 🙂👍

• Posted

Warren. I replied to mark about osteopenia. This response is meant for you. Please read it. Sorry it went to the wrong person.
    • Posted

How much should I take? Supplement for osteopenia. Now I am getting nervous about this.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info. I like you have pain when putting weight on it,and they want me to walk. I'm 57 year old male,and now they say I've got osteopenia. Your advice about taking time not rushing helped. I feel like I'm getting in dangerous territory.

• Posted

Hi Warren. Being a male, you won't lose bone mass as much as a post menopausal women. You probably have larger bones anyway. Yes, being inactive can play a large role in bone loss. I would buy a good brand of calcium tablets and the other two vitamin  and take what is recommended. I personally take a larger dose due to having osteoporosis. Don't panick because you don't know you have osteopenia, but I would start with the supplements and even continue when walking. It won't kill you. Please don't worry. Just do what you can with weight bearing but don't push it. You will recover in your time. A younger person heals quicker so don't compare yourself to them and every injury is different. The surgeon doesn't know how you feel, or the physio, they have probably never broken a bone. You and only you know what you are capable as this stage. Your body will let you know what you can do. You will probably have to build up your confidence as well, I know I did. Take it easy. 🙂

• Posted

Thank you dear lady. I bought the calcium and vitamin d3. The vitamin k is a prescription medication in states. Should I call my doc to get one. Once again thinks for all your advice it has been very helpful.
    • Posted

Hi warren. The Vit. k2 is very good for the bones and I would try to get hold of it. It's sold in the chemists off the shelf here in Australia. I would continue with the Vit supplements even when you're walking, as bone loss is gradual after 35 years old. Of course some more than others depending on diet, medication, hereditary etc. Make sure you take them every day, Warren. Keep me posted about your walking. I really feel for you because you are concerned about walking and I know that horrible feeling. Keep positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.