Ankle Fusion Update...good news, finally! 👍🏻

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I saw my consultant today, had X-rays and the op has done its thing and my ankle is now fused! The air cast boot has been ditched, I can FWB and I'm now slowly weaning myself off my crutches. I have my first Physio appointment at 9am in the morning and I'm expecting a fair bit of pain but hey ho! The children and dog are finally happy as we finally went for our first walk around the park this afternoon...they were very happy as was I. 🙂

5 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

How many weeks do you have in? I'm only at five & still having ankle pain. I can only dream about that day right now. That must feel great. Good for you. 

• Posted

It seems for ever doesn't it barb. Long haul. I'm at week 18 able to hobble around the house. Use 1 crutch when I'm out just to give me that little bit of security. Pain can be bad on days and find it hard not to limp. I've been out of the boot for about 6/8 weeks I think nothing but pain since. Swelling not too bad less n less every day. Swelling mostly over the top of my ankle which don't give me much movement. Just hoping it goes dwn soon so I can at last stop this bloody limping. Sx

• Posted

I'm 14wks in Barbs, and although I'm glad that the cast and boot thing is over with I'm feeling a bit daunted by getting back my usual mobility. 

But I'm sure it will all be good, I have seen my Physio today and have been referred for a long course of hydrotherapy which I'm looking forward too as I love being in the water/swimming. 

I just think this whole ankle fusion thing is a marathon and not a sprit...we will all get there of that I'm sure. Xx

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm sorry you're  still having so much pain this far into your surgery. It's funny how some people are out walking normal in six months & others are still struggling a year later. I pray for a speedy recovery for you & that each day gets a little better. You will get there. It's do darn hard but we hall have the same goal in mind. To regain our mobility & to do the things we used to do without pain. That's what I keep focusing on. Stay positive, it helps a lot. 

• Posted

Thank you. It's just my luck that things are getting little easier and no physio has told me I need to get my knee op in order!! This us the reason I fell as in waiting to go in for my knee. I've a torn ligament and pain in my kneecap so it's restricted my movement. Me being clever thought I could lift leg higher than a foot to climb over a steel barrier..... No Sandra couldn't do it and fell. One smashed dislocated ankle!!!! So looks like I'll be on crutches for ever!! 😢 😢. Sx

• Posted

Let me know how it goes, I started last week in the boots and now my ankles are swollen and hurt.
    • Posted

This is when my pain and sweystzfed to get really bad when I went into my boot. Felt like heaven when I could ditch it. Long haul ahead. But we will get there. Sx
    • Posted

I shall do, Physio went well I just need to elevate and ice as much as I'm walking around...I usually forget to do the ice thing as I'm not keen on the cold at all! Xx

• Posted

Great news.The sense of freedom without the boot is brilliant.When you have your physio you will be surprised how much work is needed to build up the muscles in your leg.You are on the finishing straight now so don't overdo it.It will be a year next week since I had my fusion and I still use a crutch when out shopping but I think it is mainly down to problems that have developed in my knee.It looks like I will have to have a knee replacement soon.I do still get a sudden pain in the ankle but very little swelling.Keep us up to date on your progress and Best wishes Nonita

• Posted

I have had 2 failed ankle replacements since Nov 2014 and been told now I have to have a fusion. May I ask you some advice please..are you able to move your ankle at all and toes ect....and is your balance ok? But the best advice I need is..would you recommend it and what is the recovery time. Thanks in advance Wayne (Liverpool UK)
    • Posted

Hi Wayne.Sorry to hear that your replacement surgery was not successful.My thoughts are that it is probably time to move on and consider a fusion.I think you have to remain positive when approaching this surgery as it does take up to 18 months to feel the benefits.I had a right triple fusion and Achilles lengthening a year ago this month.I have very little pain and swelling now.I can move my toes without a problem and I have a small amount of up and down movement of the foot.I cannot move it from side to side and am only able to walk the stairs one step at a time.I do have a small limp but I understand that this may improve.Having said all this I would certainly go through all this again in order to be rid of the pain.If you need any more help please ask and I will do my best to be honest so that you can make the right decision for you.Best wishes Nonita
    • Posted

Aww thanks you, I saw my Physio today and she could tell how much my muscle had wasted just by looking at my thigh...I'm a swimmer so usually have half decent leg muscles. 

It's a long process but I'm in it for the long haul now, after 7 ops in 14yrs I can't wait to have a normal few yrs with my family 🙂

• Posted

Hi Wayne, I really feel for you I do!

I've had ongoing problems with my left ankle since I broke my ankle at 13 and the brakes were missed off the X-ray by the dr.

I've had 7 ops in 14yrs so I just wanted solution were I didn't have to keep having surgery every few yrs. and being younger at 38 a replacement wasn't an option for me. Hopefully my consultant thinks I'll now have a good 10yrs before anything 'might' need to be done. 

I pretty surprised in the amount of movement I have, wish there was a way of posting a video on here to show you! 

I can move everything from the base of my toes to the tips of them. I can move my ankle side to side just as I could before the op. I have a tiny tiny bit of flextion so I can move my ankle up and down, maybe 0.5cm which surprisingly does make a difference! I was so worried pre op about the lack of movement as I want an active life with my family but the need to get rid of the pain over rid  all of my worries. 

Plus I had an amazing consultant surgeon at Wrightington hospital UK, they are the hospital that did the worlds first hip replacement. My consultant works with most of the premier league football and rugby clubs to sort out their ankle surgery needs and I can't praise him highly enough! 

Yep it's been the longest 14wks of my life so far but the pain that I had before has gone completely. I'd say go for it, wish I hadn't waited so long to get mine fused! Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's put my mind a little bit easier regarding the upcoming surgery.good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Wayne.Good luck with your upcoming surgery.Please let us know how you get on.Best wishes Nonita
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, I had my first replacement aged 41 at Wrightington but after 10 months of chronic pain afterwards we found out the surgeon had fitted a broken implant, so I had revision surgery in 2015 along with ankle decompression surgery and a gastronemious lengthening of my tendons in my calf.all this has wrecked the nerves in my foot. I have now transferred all my future surgery to Aintree Hospital and the Walton centre in Liverpool. So my only option now is to have the fusion which I'm really hoping will be my last operation. I shall keep you informed. Thanks Wayne.

• Posted

Waynescott, just wondering what you decided to do.  I am trying to decide whether to get the replacement or fusion.  May I ask why your replacements failed?  Also, I didn't think you could get fusion after replacement so I'm guessing from your statement that you can.

Thanks, Katsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.