Ankle fusions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I have had a double ankle fusion and a mid foot fusion my left ankle still swells up and I'm still in pain 17weeks in, my right ankle took over 12 months to settle down but I am now pain free in the right but not in the left.just a waiting game I guess

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear his Ian. I'm 10 weeks post op screws and plate with dislocated and broken ankle. I'm still in a lot of pain and swelling. This morning after physio yesterday it's unbearable I'm still not weight bearing. Sorry to tell you but thought it might be a comparison time wise. I'm thinking for me it's going be very slow but we're all different.  Wish you well...keep on....👣👣
    • Posted

Hi Jani,

Please if you don't mind me asking, may I know why you haven't started weight bearing?

• Posted

Forgive my spelling of your name please, just noticed after posting
    • Posted

Hi Abigail

i don't mind you asking, I broke and dislocated my ankle and the 2 breaks are healed nicely. The acute dislocation has left my foot basically locked in one position and unable to move hardly at all hence I cannot even put my foot flat - it Was about a week ago she managed to get my toes to move. I'm doing all the exercises, leg strengthening, boot off with foot moving at all times as it can. It's like my foot is frozen, I'm also in a 

Lot of pain. Believe me nobody wants to be walking more than me and we are working towards that.....I don't know if it's unique but after seeing my foot dangling the tendons got stretched pretty bad.....it takes time and m frustrated but realize this will not help my cause.   So that's it in a nutshell, thoughts???  Take good care..

• Posted

Thanks a lot Jannie, I was asking because I too I am almost 10 weeks post ops, last time I went I had xray, Dr said my bone wasn't joining but he still went ahead to ask me to bear weight, I have posted all that on this forum before, my next appointment is next week, the strange thing is I haven't been booked for any physio till now and I was thinking before now that it was because probably the Dr said there was no union, but am just realising through this group now, that am the only one who hasn't been attending physio after ops. Thanks anyway and I hope you get better, because, unlike yours, I don't feel pain at all despite the fact that the Dr said there is no union
    • Posted

Hi Jannie.

Not sure if I've spoken to you before or not. I'm now five and a half MONTHS post surgery. I shattered the lot with a dislocation too. Can I ask how old you are ? I'm sixty in May. Always been fit and active. I have plates and screw going up my fibula, plates and screws going up my tibia and 2 screws on a bone piece that got knocked off on my inner ankle. Also completely dislocated. I would like to show you my X-ray but I've tried to upload my X-ray before without success. You can see it was a mess. I'm still not at work as I couldn't possibly stand on my feet for over a short time. My job is very physical and running around on my feet. It would be impossible due to the extent of my injuries. I'm very slowly getting about wearing shoes and if I'm out walking usually I end up using my fold up walking stick. I'm still in pain most of the time. I feel as if the 2 screws are digging In at times.I have physio and my foot and ankle swell up twice the size of the normal ankle. I'm still not allowed to drive. I can't squat down. My foot is at times feeling numb and I get terrible pain even in my foot but physiotherapist says that because it's connected. I've come a long way and it's a long recovery for me. I have found comfort in this forum with other people who understand as no one out there does, they only think they do. You will get there with TIME. We all will. Keep us all posted with your journey. One step at a time so to speak. ( smile)

• Posted

Hi

i so remember you and I think your the only one I've seen that also dislocated too. What a journey, whirl wind of emotions, consumed with the pain, frustration and small victories that no one else could understand. At 10 weeks I'm not liking physio who is pushing me too much and my foot is letting me know it. I'm discouraged today but just taking a day off from everything and back at it tomorrow. I've started water therapy 3 times a week and had a massage today. I'm independent in my wheel chair and I so relate to the digging n the foot, God it hurts - I'm happy your making strides and looking at you and others helps so much. Thank God for this forum it's real and encouraging from all us ankle biters as I call them. One day at a time!  Take good care and keep us posted!! 👣💃

• Posted

Hi Ian. I have read your post had my op around the same time as you, but I only had 3 screws in total. My ankle is still swollen but told by doctors and physio that it will take up to 12 mo this for the swelling to reduce.

I am in minor pain still but is manageable.

I agree that it is very much a waiting game.

I have done my exercises on a daily basis, massage, ice, elevate, but still my ankle is swollen. Apparently this is normal.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and all other ankle sufferers

• Posted

Thanks Paul, I think we're close in situation of break and time.....I'm so happy your getting on, that is great news......I've heard it can take a year and believe it now!!  Take good care, best Jannie
    • Posted

It's nice to hear from you again Jannie. It's a long haul but I have forced myself back to work, whether I have done the right thing, only time will tell.

Ive been driving just over a month now and as part of my job working in car rental on my feet most of my 10 hour day! I had three hours off work yesterday for physio and dentist appointments. I decided to take my crutches back to hospital. My perching chair to the local council, and went to the local dump, so had a proactive day and felt better for it. My wheelchair is going on EBay this weekend, just want to put this journey well behind me asap. I hope you are doing well, I know it's slow progress for a lot of us, but we can stay positive and support each other using this great forum.

Take care Jannie

• Posted

Thanks Paul, yes put this behind you......you've helped me a lot so thanking you. How long has it been from beginning to now Paul, it's a great point of comparion and even though we're all different it gives a good reference. Enjoy your nite and sell that wheelchair, money for your trip!  Take care 👣🏃
    • Posted

Hi Paul,

It's great to hear you've been able to do some normal things.  Funny to hear about your crutches and wc, I couldn't wait to move them out of my living room.  I'm going to Craigslist them asap.  How much range of motion do you have now?  

Best wishes, Linda

• Posted

Good morning. You are most welcome, I pleased that my comments have been useful. I have just checked and i am at week 18. I think this has been a massive shock to my system as I have ever only broken my left foot when some idiot of a work colleague dropped a 6ft fork truck extension on it! That was 35 years ago and never had an operation prior to this. It bothers me that I still walk with a bad limp and I still can't squat, but then I think back to being in a wheelchair and crutches, I know I am making progress but slowly, probably due to me being 54 yrs old, I still think I'm 18 😊 Im focusing on being fit to visit my son & family this July in Cleveland Ohio and busy with organising my classic car events around the Uk. Hope you have a great weekend. Speak soon
    • Posted

Good morning. I accept that this injury has been a massive shock to my system having not been in hospital or had operation in my 54 years. I took 3 hours off work last Thursday morning for physio & dentist and got rid of my crutches and purching chair, as seeing them is a constant reminder, next to go is the wheelchair. I'm still walking with a bad limp and swelling is bad especially when I've been on my feet all day,(15 hrs yesterday) I still can't squat and am unsteady on uneven surfaces, especially ramps, how strange is that? I'm at approx 60% says my PT, so still a long way to go, but she says that the strength in my foot has improved since my previous visit 2 weeks ago. My next appointment is in 3 weeks so hopfullysee some more progress. Hope you are progressing well and not getting too down.

Have a good weekend

• Posted

Hi Ian,

You had ankle fusions on both ankles? Sorry, to sound lame, but I want to understand your issue.  Why did you having a fusion?  I'm 16 weeks post ORIF fibula with hardware.  I'm still have pain and swelling.  I'm guessing it's par for the course.  

If it's both ankles I feel double respect for the difficulty it must have been for you.  Best wishes. Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.