Ankle in cast feels clicky.....normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I dislocated and fractured my ankle just over 3 weeks ago, had I have a plate and bone graft put in and have temporary half cast on until Friday when I go in for a check up and full cast.

When I'm hopping around on crutches, which I only really do to get food/drink or go to the loo, my ankle sometimes feels like it's clicky. Is this normal??? It's freaking me out a bit cos it feels wierd and I'm scared it's popping in and out of the joint or something. Is it just a bit loose in there til it heals?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Haha rambling now cos I just remembered something else freaking me out!!! Every night just as I'm falling asleep I'll twitch myself awake and my foot of my bad ankle will whack itself up. It's sooooo painful, happened twice last night 😔 but I'm really worried it might cause damage to what's going on in there??? There is nothing I can do to stop it from happening and I'm scared to go to sleep. I'm normally quite a laid back person when it comes to injuries and blood and stuff....the one thing that freaks me out is breaks and dislocations so this was the worst injury I could get lol!!!!

• Posted

OMG. So glad to here someone else is experiencing the same as I did in the early weeks of accident. This happened to me a lot just after my operation, I even asked the nursing staff it it was normal or could it be the medication it's taking. Didn't reply get a reply. One night just after my operation I twitched so bad that u knocked my foot on the end of the hospital bed which caused me pain. I also experienced a 'odd' feeling in my stomach just ad I was falling into a deep sleep, which would wake me up. I have a feeling that sub consciously I was afraid to fall asleep, as I had just been put to sleep for the operation? This stopped after a few days of getting home. Now into my 6week since my accident, with another 10days where I will hopefully get the cast removed for a boot and some light weight barring? Long hard slog ahead I think 🤔. Hope your recovery is good. Sandra

• Posted

Thanks, it's so reassuring to know it's not just me being crazy 😂

• Posted

Ok, first let me tell you that the twitching and jerking spasm sensation is TOTALLY normal and completely freaked me out. 😀

I'm 11wks post op, in a boot, and it still happens but no pain. Just the body's nerves waking up and rewiring. It doesn't damage anything. Your clamp and the temp cast will keep things in place. But dang it hurts when it happens.

I would place a heavy large ice pack across my leg at night. My leg couldn't jerk as high.

The clicking is normal too but it's good to ask the doc about it.

I have two clamps, a rod, and 15 screws in my leg. I'm an over achiever. 😀

Getting used to the new hardware is tough. I'm still trying to make friends with it.

Best of luck to you in your healing process.

Many of us in these forums have been right where you've been. The hopping. I thought I'd hop forever.

It gets better.

Take care!

Karen

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying. I feel much better now I know these are generally normal things.

• Posted

These ankle problems go from one thing to another!! Don't think we are ever going to feel 'normal' ever again!! How many of you feel the hardware get aching around the ankle as well as on the heel and over the top of the foot? I'm on week 6 since accident and still in cast for another 10days then hoping to go into a boot with light weight barring. Longest 6weeks of my life. Feel it's going to take a long long time to feel at least half way there. It's a sorry for myself day AGAIN today.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.