ankle injury -chronic pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

My name is Bonnie. My husband is 38 years old and broke his ankle 5 years ago. He still has pain in his ankle after all this time. He describes it as a dull ache. If you push in behind the ankle bone itself it hurts him greatly. We have seen 4 orthopedics(including the Hospital for Special Surgery), 2 podiatrists and 4 neurologists. No one can figure out why he has pain. His MRI'S are clear and his EMG didn't show any nerve damage. He has tried PRP therapy, acupuncture (twice),chiropractor (twice), myofascial release massage, many different anti-depressants, nerve pain medications, sural nerve release surgery(some doc told us it would help) and cartilage removal surgery. The poor man is beside himself. We do not know what to do next.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bonnie

So sorry to hear this.  it must be exceedingly distressing.   I cannot comment as to what is going on for your husband as I am not qualified.   You didnt mention if your husband has any hardware in his ankle.  I have plates and pins following my ankle break in January.  I continually had pain and was dismissed by my surgeon and sought a second opinion last week. when I was told that becuase of the hardware, an MRI would not be as revealing as a CT SCAN.    The CT scan showed damage to the bottom of my tibia which may need arthroscopy in the future.  An Ultra Sound also showed many inflammatory areas and I had a Guided Steroid Procedure to my foot this week which has calmed things down.     I notice that a few of the Group members have talked about Regional Pain Syndrome.  Is this something that has been suggested or investigated.    I hope someone in this Group,  more informed than me, can help you.

• Posted

Thank you for reaching out to me. He dies not have any hardware in his ankle. And he has had 2 ultrasounds and he actually has had guided steroid shots and a nerve block.

RPS has been mentioned but there doesn't seem to be any guidance on that issue. It's more like, if it's RPS then just deal with the pain.

• Posted

Bonnie I'm sorry to hear of this. I have CrPS/RSD after ankle surgery 6 mos ago, it goes easily misdiagnosed as not common but possible after surgery or trauma. What are his symptoms?  Pain is the tip off.  I'm on gabbapentin and ketamine compounded cream on my base of spine three times day for pain. It's been working wonderfully for me to rehab. I couldn't do as well without it. Most Dr don't know of this treatment. Go to YouTube and search for Dr Pradeep Chopra to get a better understanding of it. I got diagnosed at two mos I was lucky for that.  Wishing him well, hang in there....best Jannie 
    • Posted

He's tried many creams as well.
    • Posted

Gabbapentin and ketamine are not typical they are made to order.  Most doctors will not know of this treatment. I'd be in agony without it. Best of luck.  
    • Posted

What type of Doctor can prescribe that? We live in NYC.
    • Posted

My Dr is a Functional MD specializes in alternative and traditional therapies, better than a ND in my opinion - she 's thrilled it's working so well with me...as am I. 
  • Posted

Hi Bonniedel

I'm sorry you and your husband are going through such a difficult time

I, too, have had pain in my ankle since a break nearly 10 years ago. I've had so many scans, tried acupuncture, Pilate's, numerous medications....and at the moment I'm on high levels of opiods (tramadol, morphine, etc) as well as gabapentin and duloxetine, and all these meds barely touch the pain.

I've just ordered some magnesium spray off amazaon because I've heard that magnesium can help with chronic pain and I exhibit many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

I also have tried a pain management course at one of the countries centres of excellence for orthopaedic injuries. Unfortunately I collapsed a couple of days into the programme due to an accidental morphine overdone, but am now receiving the material 1-2-1 weekly alongside physiotherapy. The material in the course has been helpful in identifying things that trigger more pain and things I might be able to do to better manage the pain.

Have you looked at maybe a pain management course? I'll also let you know how I get on with the magnesium.

I'm at the point now, where the surgeons say they have no other options other than to amputate in the hopes it will eliminate the pain and allow me to become more mobile and independent. But before I do that I am trying to make sure I have given everything a try! Another things that's important with ankle pain is to try and avoid putting on weight as being overweight puts more strain through the joint. Also try and improve your core and build muscle to try and support any weakness in the joint.

All of the above is simply based on my experience and so is, by no means, an expert opinion. But I really hope your husband finds something that helps relieve his pain and gets an answer on what's causing the pain (the not having an answer to the cause can be one of the most frustrating things ever!)

If you have any questions then feel free to get in touch, and good luck!

Xoxo

• Posted

Thank you Ceejay. My husband did the magnesium spray as well. A doctor just told him to try olive oil extract. Olive Leaf extract is the same. We just ordered it. I'll let you know how that works.
  • Posted

Hmmm. I am only 4 months post op, but 8 months post snap. I have been told that its not unusual for this pain to be with us for years, even life.

Has he tried a Physio therapist? Mine is great and helping locate pain areas and offering advice. Worth a try?

All the best @(*+*)#

• Posted

Thank you. Tell me about what type of advice they give. I don't know anything about physio therapy.
    • Posted

Basically Bonnie they have studied the whole structure of the body., and its mechanics. Ligaments, tendons, muscles and bones etc. They can pinpoint the area often, and read xrays to come up with treatments, ideas and exercises for particular body parts after damage and trauma.

Mine explains possible reasons for soreness and give suggestions and specific exercises to aid in recovery. You need a compassionate Physio if you're anything like me. A sense of humour helps for patient and Physio. Sometimes I have to do things I don't want to do. He is patient and supportive. My husband broke his scaphoid, a small hard to heal bone in his hand. It like mine, was a non- union, and he needed surgery. His new Physio gets his whole body moving, trying to cover general fitness and health as well.

Hope this gives you a good idea.

©{°$°}©

• Posted

My pleasure Bonnie. Not sure where you live but here in NZ physios 's are a plenty, and after an injury, ACC - Accident Compensation, pays most of cost if injury approved. Public insurance type system.

Worth a go.

@(*#*)@

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.