Ankle injury recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am looking for some advise on an ankle injury. Badly sprained my ankle on a trampoline back in August 2019. Almost five months on, and after two X-rays which were fine and quite a few visits to a physiotherapist the ankle has gained strength and stability so much so, that I am able to walk pain free and experience little discomfort apart from lack of flexibility, I can even jump on the ankle withoutimage pain. However, the physiotherapist and doctor are concerned that there is still swelling five months after the initial injury so I have booked myself in for an MRI. Should I be concerned about the swelling (last picture). I’m desperate to get back playing tennis and football at some point however the physio and doctor have made me quite anxious about my recovery.imageimage

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey man. I have been using (6 weeks) an infrared heat pad by thermotex (see web site) I must say that I am very impressed with the results. My accident was in late May 2019. Might be worth a shot...

• Posted

The ankle swells a long time. I did break mine, but swelling went on for at least a year. I wouldn't feel stressed, friend of mine sprained and she's still swelling 6+ months.

• Posted

I am 7 months post Orif Surgery for a trimalleolar fracture and the swelling is still there. Remember if you have metal plates or pins, my surgeon said you will always have a larger ankle due to the hardware. Mine tends to swell when it has been down on the floor all day but it isnt as bad as the beginning. The surgeon also said it could in reality take anywhere up to 18 plus months for the swelling to completely subside.

• Posted

Had two X-rays which didn't show any breaks, so not had an operation. I'm able to go about my daily activities with little or no discomfort but still not able to play sports. The swelling is still there after almost 5 months, so I am waiting for an MRI scan at the beginning of February. During the week I was doing some Bosu Ball balance work, my ankle felt pretty good during and after the exercises. I am hoping the injury is just soft tissue damage and is just taking it's time to heal due to age, I am 43 and have sprained my ankle a couple of times over the years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.