Ankle Instability

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hEDS when I was 14 after multiple finger dislocations which lead to surgery. Prior to this I was just deemed as 'double jointed' or very flexible because I did gymnastics

Fast forward a few years and I seem to be struggling with my EDS more and

more.

Recently I landed short when jump (foot slightly behind so knees are over toes) and hurt my ankle I heard a slight pop  but despite pain there was no swelling or bruising. I treated it like a sprain (RICE and physio exercises I'd been give for past ankle injuries) but I am still experiencing pain and ankle instability as well as a terrible popping sound whenever I circle my ankle and sometimes when I walk and this is almost 12 weeks after the initial injury.

Having sprained my ankle more times than I care to count this feels very different then pain is far worse than any other sprain and the effects lasting far longer so I went to see my GP in the hopes that they could help or at least refer me to someone that can. 

My GP has told my it's a slow healing sprain and to continue doing what I'm doing.But I feel has through there is something more and it's staring to impact my daily life and my GP was very blasé about the whole thing. 

Any suggestions on what to do from here? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm no expert in these things, but I read no mention of your GP ordering X-rays. Im thinking you know this already but no harm in sharing.

In my own similar experience (with knee), xray revealed a need for "vacuum cleaning :)" my joint(thru 2 mini-openings) of small, particular matter that I had worn loose in my competitive running activities thru the yrs. Releived my pain, and no scarring . Thanks

• Posted

Thank you for your advice! I asked about having an x-ray but my GP said that because it's most likely not broken they don't see much point in getting an x-ray. But I might push to get it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.