Ankle Instability

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Ya'll, I need some advice.  I have been diagnosed with chronic ankle instability.  Inverted my ankle 4x since last oct (last one Feb 2017)...2 were bad, not much swelling nor pain until May.  I started having sharp pains walking in May (top of foot, then moved to outside ankle).  I went to Orthopedic in June.  He stated my ankle was loose (ligament wise).  Started PT with no help due to pain, all they did was massage which made it worse.  MRI showed a healing fracture on top of foot but NO ligament tears.  My Doc then did a stress xray where he pulled my ankle joint out.  He thinks my ligaments are loose thus causing me pain.  He gave me steriod shot in joint which has done nothing (which he said he did to confirm ligament issue if not better).  He's hoping the steriod shot will get me through another 6 weeks of PT without so much pain.  So far, no go on steriod shot.  I just need some advice for MRI being negative on ligament tear with just loose ligaments and if surgery would be best option, cause that's what the next step whould be.  I'm done with this pain..........

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problems! I rolled mine very badly and ended up tearing my ligaments in my ankle. I didnt do physical therapy like I was supposed to so my ligaments healed loose. This led me to have chronic ankle sprains all the time. Sometimes 3-4 times (ranging from mild to severe) a month. I ended up rolling my ankle very badly again after the loose ligament diagnosis and the MRI revealed I had completely torn my ligaments again. He recommended surgery which I had! I will say it helped tremendously!!! I had it 5 years ago and I have only rolled my ankle 1 time in the 5 years! im so happy I had it because I play all types of sports and i'm pretty active. Im pain free now and have no problems!! Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Courtney, thank you for your story...I'm gonna try and push through this pain for three weeks while doing PT strenthening.  Everything I have been reading for chronic ankle instability is saying if not taken care of I could be prone to pre mature athritis etc, which I don't want of course.  With a MRI that shows no ligament tears I'm just leary of surgery, yet I know the pain I'm in and how my ankle feels loose.  Thank you for your response and story.  How was your recovery?  I know 5 years ago is probably different than today.  He told me 2 weeks NWB, and 4 weeks in a boot.  How was your recovery?

• Posted

I completely understand, but you know when your body doesn’t feel right better than anyone else or any tests. Mine felt very loose as well, I could stick my leg out and it was like my ankle would just kinda hang.  I had my surgery in August 2013, I was NWB for 2 weeks, and then as soon as I had my stitches removed at 2 weeks he gave me the ok to start walking with the cast. I had this cast for 3 weeks. After that 3 weeks was up, I went to a ankle brace and tennis shoe for the rest of the recovery. I never had a boot. I was released to start playing sports again the following October, though I still had to attend PT for awhile. So about 3 months was the total time I was “out of commission”.  
    • Posted

Thank you Courtney.  I'm so glad you had/have a great outcome.  You inspire me and give me hope!!  I will keep pushing through till my next appointment on Sept 28th unless I can't stand the pain (my doc said to call him).  My doc did tell me I will have a stiff ankle, I'm hoping I can work through that with PT and it will become normal over time.  

• Posted

Absolutely! And if you have any questions at all, feel free to message me smile  I will tell you, that my ankle was stiff for a couple months or so, but it feels completely normal now. I can’t even tell I had surgery besides the 3 scars and me not rolling my ankle anymore lol! You will do awesome if you choose to have the surgery!! You will feel better!! Best of luck with everything smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.