Ankle Ligament Reconstruction - Pain is Unbearable

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My wife did a surgery for ankle ligament reconstruction 2 weeks ago. Her surgeon fixed her torn ligament using a tendon graft (another tissue used to correct the torn ligament) and also stitched the ligament back to the bone. 

Ever since the surgery my wife has been under a great amount of pain. She received strong pain medication (Percocet, Ketrolac, Valium) and has been taking them multiple times per day. They seem to make the pain go away for a very short time and then she needs to retake another dosage. 

I am very worried because the pain is not subsiding and it has been 2 weeks already. Has anyone here had a similar experience? If so, what should she expect in terms of pain? 

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, 

So sorry your wife is going through such a rough time with her surgery. I had two ligaments done on Nov. 13th and some other extensive repairs due to a fall.  She has to stay a head of the pain. And also she should have a Tylenol of such strength to take along with the stronger meds. I had .5 mg of Oxi's and 1000 mg of Tylenol. Every 4 to 6 hours. Don't wait for her pain to get bad before taking them. This is a very long process. Non weight bearing, partial weight bearing, cast, air cast and a brace. This is what I'm looking at. I'm on my 3rd cast since surgery. Taking a shower with a cover on the cast takes all my energy away for the day. 

Make sure she is eating, drinking plenty of water and staying positive. Its all she has. A good support system and a ton of help. As she gets better, get her a grabber, a scooter to get around the house. Get things close to her... TV remote, easy foods , books, computer and so on. 

In time she should be feeling somewhat better. It doesn't get stellar but at least moving around a bit. 

If she doesn't get better by the two and a half week mark I would say call the doc to check it out.  It can't hurt. Even a phone call. I didn't want to call about my cast feeling odd to me and hurting but finally did after 4 days! And they took me right in and changed it, took a look at the surgery site and all was good to go. It  never hurts to be safe!

I'm assuming she is non weight bearing?  

Its a process for sure... !

Good luck!

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your reply. She is in a cast and non-weight bearing. I have the week off from work and I am trying to make this as easy as possible for her. I am worried about next week when I have to go back to work.

• Posted

Your welcome James,

Your wife may need someone to check in on her if she is still non weight bearing next week. She will not be able to manage by herself. This I am sure of. This Monday I am 3 weeks out and still need my husband for many things. I also have two daughters that can get things for me. For that I am grateful.  

If she is still taking the Oxi or strong meds and still doesn't find that relief , I would give the doc a call.  I took my 30 pills they gave me and felt I could have needed more but the 1000 mgs of Tylenol at least helped take the edge off. To easy to keep taking more of that stuff. 

Give the doc a call... can't hurt to ask if this is normal for her. Everyone is different in the pain area. 

And elevate!!!!! smile 

Rose

• Posted

Hi I had accessory navicular surgery 12 weeks ago which involved tendon removal and reattachment to excised bone. It still hurts. I think any form of tendon and ligament surgery is really painful. And you have to keep on top of the medication doses or you get lots of pain. I tried to be brave and pain and swelling made me faint. Her body has been through an awful lot, it will take time. The only thing I would say is if the pain is really unbearable and there's a lot of swelling or discolouration of toes or leg please get her seen - don't mean to worry you but sometimes unbearable pain can be due to infection. Perhaps check her temperature as well. I am sure it's not - it's an awful surgery she will need a lot of care and support. I am still struggling. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Alfies,

Thanks for the reply. We have been checking the temperature daily and I check her toes as well.  

• Posted

I would say if the pain is that unbearable she is using that much medication she should have her cast checked.  I hate to see people take such strong meds for longer then a week, they should go down to the next level and get off the meds as soon as possible.  I had a similar surgery done 2 and a half months ago.  For the most part I got by on 800 of ibuprophen and a lortab at night.  It is just so easy to end up with other problems taking that much pain med, plus you build up a tolerance pretty quickly to them.  I would call and get the cast checked and maybe changed.  I just don't think it should be that painful unless something was going on under the cast.

• Posted

Hi, how is your wife doing? I also had an ankle ligament reconstruction on December 8th and the pain has been pretty awful. Just curious if things have started getting better.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

My wife's situation had improved tremendously over the past couple of months. Currently, she is doing everything except running and jumping. Physical therapy was a major turning point in her recovery. 

As far as her recovery process. After about 6 weeks she started putting partial pressure on her foot. She still needed crutches but she could start walking short distances around the house without them.

At this time she also started PT. 3-4 weeks into PT and she started walking without crutches. Initially, she had a pretty bad limp (because she still didn't apply same pressure to both feet).

Now, ~3 months after the surgery, she is walking almost normally. She says that she still feels dull pain sometimes and that after sitting for a while her ankle gets pretty stiff.

I hope you feel better and have a fast recovery! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.