Ankle ligament reconstruction surgery... 4 weeks on it feels the same..

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi!

Has anyone had ankle ligamnet reconstruction surgery? I damaged my ligaments in Sept 14 and have been on crutches ever since. At the beginning of Dec I had my surgery and now 4 weeks on, the pain/restriction feels the same sad.

I would love to hear from anyone in the sme situation, or anyone who has any tips.

Thanks

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi , I had the ankle ligament reconstruction op in June 2015. I am 7 months down the road and still  have pain in the ankle ( after a decent amount of phsio and walking for several miles some weekends )

I wonder whether it's part of the long road to recovery or the area is still damaged .

Any good news would be welcome . Previously ran 20 miles a week so it's not been great. Back on pain relief tablets with my foot up with ice yet again.

• Posted

Hello laura my name is tami i am 29 years old and i had ligament tightening in my right ankle last year in 2015 and it was good for a while and then started hurting me again this year but the doctor that did it is no longer there he closed his doors this year so not sure if i should see another orthopedic for this problem or not
  • Posted

I'm not looking forward to having surgery for tear, especially after some of these (your) reads. Scary, scared, and then some.. Not using crutches or the reccomended boot, but really limit my movement. Sometimes my ankle will hurt and radiate into the complete top of my foot causing excruciating pain. Has anyone experienced ths.??????? ???

David 99

• Posted

How is your ankle now?  Did you need surgery?  I had a couple tears and just had a brostrom repair and syndesmosis joint repair .  3 weeks in still alot fof pain/swelling.
    • Posted

Hi i just a had an left ankle stabilization, bromstrum repair, debridement and repair of my talus all in one shot on April 1st . Honestly my recovery hasn't been bad. Was in a soft cast for 10 days then switched to a hard cast for about 4 wks then started wearing the CAM boot and going to PT at the same time. I'm on my last week of PT and start back to work the following week after. Some days are good some are bad. Just don't let it get you down??

• Posted

Thanks, how long were you off work?  DOes it still swell lot's?  How long did it take you to walk in the cast without crutches?  I get the walking cast in 3 weeks.  I'm a bit nerevous.

• Posted

I went out April 1 & I go back in 2 weeks! Yes it still swells a lot especially when I wear flats. Its stiffest in the morning! Within a weeks I was down to one clutch, by the end of third week I didn't need crutches any more. Just really be sure to do foot excises at home, it really helps like first thing in the morning .

• Posted

I'm not looking forward to having surgery for tear, especially after some of these (your) reads. Scary, scared, and then some.. Not using crutches or the reccomended boot, but really limit my movement. Sometimes my ankle will hurt and radiate into the complete top of my foot causing excruciating pain. Has anyone experienced ths.??????? ???

David 99

• Posted

David 9

• Posted

Hi! I'm almost 3 weeks past my surgery. I rolled my rt. ankle almost 3 years ago. I went through 2 rounds of physio and nothing helped. Finally got the doc to send me to the surgeon and she said I should have had it done years ago! Ugh...Anyway, I was in terrible pain for the first week.  It was outpatient surgery and had an aircast right away. Had to wear it 24 hours for the first 2 weeks. Can take it off to shower as soon as I got the stitches out about 2 weeks in.  Need the boot when I am up but can open it up if I'm sitting.  Much better now but not great. Very sore. Started moving foot back and forth and it hurts.  Slowly getting better. I just started being able to put a little bit of weight on it with crutches. Will need to wear the aircast for about 6 weeks total and then a brace. I'm half way there! I will start physio at the 6 week point. Very tired of sitting around and doing nothing.  Only so much tv one can watch!  It will get better but ,holy cow, this has been an experience!

• Posted

I am at the 3 week point as well.  Pain is lessening around the repair site but I find the nerve in my foot is what is bothering me.  Feels like my foot is kinda asleep throughout the day.  Getting really bored.  3 more weeks until a walking cast.
    • Posted

How are you mking out walking?  I just got a boot yesterday and started wbat.
  • Posted

Hi Laura

Just had an lateral ligament ankle recon Almost 2 weeks ago and still in splint- getting it off in a few days! The surgeon said I will be getting a ankle brace afterwards does that usually mean I can start being weight bearing soon after?

Secondly, for how long did your foot turn purple and painful when not elevated??

Any tips regarding a quick recovery will be gladly accepted!

• Posted

I had surgery a month ago to repair the atfl. I am still having major pain in the morning and evenings. How long did the pain last? Maybe I'm just being whiny...

• Posted

It's a long process and may be a tad painful but the tissues do slowly repair . ( allow 9- 12 months being honest)

Good Phsio sessions,strength ankle sock supports ( Amazon ) and decent trainers for protection and support once again.

Take care.

K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.