Ankle Ligament Reconstruction Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

3 weeks today I had a Brostrum repair and syndesmosis joint repair on my ankle with sutures and anchor.  2 weeks plaster cast and I've been in a  fiberglass cast for a week NWB (3 more to go before boot).  Any tips? I still have a lot of pain and can't keep my foot down much without my toes going purple and my foot swelling.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Tomorrow I will be 3weeks post Bostrom Repair and ankle arthroscopy to remove a loose piece of bone. I'm still in a lot of pain as well mainly where the wound is over my ankle and also where the ligament has been repaired. I am still bruised as well.

How are you getting on? Any Improvement? I have the same issue with putting my foot down and my toes going purple and swelling. I'm not in a cast, I have is an aircast which I wear during the day. Have you started Physio yet? I'm due to start Physio on the 19th July. Would be interesting to hear how you are getting on.

smile

• Posted

Hi Kat , no physio yet . I'm at the 5 week mark tomorrow . At 6weeks I get an aircast with partial weight baring and I think a physio referral. Pain and numbness is better. I was having some drinks with company and noticed it worse so I stopped having any alcohol. Really looking forward to the new cast. Still purple toes when I put them down. I elevate my leg a lot. What are you taking for pain ?

• Posted

Also let me know how your physio goes.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hey!

Only a week to go, I don't know why I said that cause your probably the same as me and a week is quite a long time at the moment. Oh that's good to hear, I'm really glad your seeing an improvement from your first post! I'm still numb In the toe next to my little toe and the top of my foot which hasn't really changed since the op. I'm taking maximum dose of ibuprofen and paracetamol then along with that at bedtime I take dihydrocodeine. What about you? They are very reluctant to give me anything else. I'm the same with keeping it elevated it's the only way to get any relief. I will let you know what happens with Physio, I am due to start PWB on wed but I'm reluctant to just start it with out any guidance so I think I'll call for advise. Have you been advised how long it will be before you can walk unaided again?

smile

• Posted

Hi, I'm taking extra strenght tylenol when needed now.  Got off the percocets after a week or so.  I haven't been advised anything yet with walking.  Just waiting for my appt.  It's actually in 10 days but a week sounds so much better.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

How are you and more importantly how are you getting on?

Sorry for the late reply I meant to post when I got home but time ran away with me so I'm doing it now nearly a week late but the difference it amazing! So much so as I write this I have my own shoe on my bostrom repair foot and I can walk around the house unaided! By no means can I walk like I used to just yet but I do feel awesome being free from the aircast and the crutches. Today was the first day I didn't wake up in pain as well but I'm definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch.

I'm still not able to go back to work for a further 8weeks as I am flight attendant but even then I have to go see the flight doctor to ensure I am fit to fly.

The exercises I have been given are basic so sit with the operated foot over the left thigh and flex my ankle in all directions, up-down, right-left. The main ones I struggle with are up and left but they are getting there slowly. I have a trapped/damaged nerve which is causing the toe next to my little toe to be numb and the top of my foot and is also thought to be the cause of a lot of my pain so both the Physio and Surgeon think, as my scar is heeling internally the nerve is getting caught so I have to massage the scar to try and release it, which is the most unpleasant feeling in the world! I also have to do this to the keyhole scars to free them off as well.

But all in all after nearly 5weeks it's good to see an improvement! I do hope your doing just as well! ??

• Posted

HI Kat.  I got my walking cast on last Thursday and have started weight bearing as tolerated.  I have to take ot slow as I over did it on the weekend and really paid for it.  I have no Physio untl after the boot (6weeks).  Lot's of swelling still and my incision is scabby stil.  How long did it take you to walk with out crutches? Also they did a syndesmosis joint reapir and I can feel and anchor or something on the inside of my ankle.  Weird.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

That's brilliant news! Are you wearing that cast 24/7? Poor you over doing it but it easily done! I only started to walk about the house yesterday but its more of a shuffle around holding on to whatever surfaces I can get my hands on! Lol! Never the less I feel it's an achievement. I'm still to wear the aircast to go out and try and get down to one crutch and then just the aircast.

Oh that doesn't sound to pleasant about that anchor! How is your pain? ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.