Ankle Not Healing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay guys. I posted awhile ago about a severely sprained ankle. I was in a boot for a month and completed 2 months of PT. Three days later, It gave out again, and swelled up to 2 and a half times it's normal size. I called my orthopedic and after x-rays (which were negative), he said over the phone that "we need to discuss a long term plan." I have an appointment on the 4th, but it's driving me crazy. Any ideas on what this might mean? I'm assuming surgery, but I'm also trying to not jump to conclusions. Thanks! Jamie .

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That certainly looks very swollen. I just don't understand why surgery would be part of any plan because your ankle was not broken. Of course I'm not in the medical field and I wish you the best. I hope you get other replies.

• Posted

hi jamie,

i had a similar problem. severe sprain to my left ankle around 6 months ago. the swelling has pretty much gone now, and has been the same since around the 3 month mark.

maybe try to just exercise on it a bit to get it used to the activity, and see how it goes although be careful not to twist it again like i did twice, haha.

all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.