Ankle now Swollen 4 months after Fusion Arthrodesis surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Four months ago I had Midfoot Fusion Surgery on my left foot. It seemed to heal properly and I was final released from my doctor to return to work. 

2 days after I returned to work my left ankle became extremely swollen. And now it's slowly getting better but I am wondering if this is a normal reaction after returning to work and constantly bring on my feet 

Has this happened to most patients after foot surgey

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had my midfoot arthrodesis eight months ago, with plates and screws, needing to have same on my other foot.  My repaired foot still swells.  I understand this is to be expected for some time.  Following this forum, I believe a full recovery takes up to two years.

• Posted

Hi Janice

Thank you for responding   I'm beginning to realize after reading these forums that it's going to take quite a bit longer to recover than anticipated 

I was on disability for 3 and a half months and just returned to work last

week. I am a merchandiser for a large retailer and am on my feet the whole time. At least I only work 5 hours a day 

My latest problem is that I'm swollen and numb over the surgical area and my ankle is totally swollen. The ankle swelling I don't understand Hopefully it will improve. I do water treatments twice a day , ice at night and a compression bandage lol the time

Hopefully things will improve

• Posted

Hello.  Yes, I agree with you, this forum has been invaluable: there is more information on here regarding after-op than I was told.  I am still to go ahead with the same procedure on my other foot, but I feel I am not ready yet, even though my foot has come along nicely.  I do still have odd-feeling numbness/pins and needles in my operated foot but I don't have the pain which I had prior to the op and which I have in my other foot.

I think you just have to be patient; it is a long road.  I am now nine months post-op.  Regarding the improvement in my operated foot, I will go ahead with the other foot but not quite yet.  I do have several arthritic joints.

• Posted

Hi

Sadly the swellung can take a couple of years as mentioned. Having had both feet done now I can say it's been different with both feet. The worse foot took 2 years of on n off swelling depending in what I did . Try and do lower limb strengthening as that will help as i found it did .

Keep it raised if u can ....I'm sure u know The drill lol! Gd luck!

• Posted

Hi Nikki. 

I'm beginning to realize that the numbness is going to last a lot longer than I originally thought. I went back to work last week to a relatively physical type job as a Merchandiser for a large retailer 

I m gathering that things might be tough for a while. Thanks for redponfing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.