Ankle ORIF

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi,

I had ankle orif surgery on august 17th.

I had a surgical cast for a week and then a hard cast and was moved to a walking boot on the 29th september however, i was told i wasnt allowed to walk or start weight bearing.

I would just like to know other peoples experiences?

I will be back to see the doctor on October 20th. No signs of being able to weight bare.

How long did it take other people before they started to walk again? and was it difficult ?

1 like, 149 replies

149 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Georgia,

I had ORIF on my ankle just over 3 weeks ago. i was put into a boot after 2 weeks but can't weight bear for 6 weeks so just under 3 weeks time. It's frustrating for sure. I'm very active so elevating my leg and not doing much is very hard for me. i take off my boot 3/4 times a day and point my toes, make circles with my foot and stuff along that lines and not getting any pain which is good.

i had a plate and screws but dont have any screws that need removing

Happy to chat if it helps etc, i find it does

Adam

• Posted

Hi Adam,

Thanks for responding and I hope your having a somewhat ok recovery! 😃

I have finally started weight bearing over the last week and it is quite strange but I feel some relief getting back to normal!

I was in a cast for around 6 weeks before I went into a boot so at least you got yours quite early and are getting to move your foot to try and loosen it up.

You get fed up of not doing much when you're told you can't right? Hahaha

• Posted

Hi Adam!

im going back in 4 days for my 2 week check, hoping theyre going to give me an option of a boot as ive had an allergic reaction to the cast so covered in a rash! not bothering me too much minus being a little itchy and keep getting a burning sensation in my heel, feels like pressure but it goes when i get in a comfy position.

how are you doing in the boot?

im finding this forum so helpful with other people going through similar!

thanks

• Posted

Yeah was quite pleased to go to a boot, when i do range of motion exercise it does ache a little around where the plate is for a little while after. hopefully once i start to bare weight the the exercise will have helped.

Yeah that's the issue when my ankle was fine I enjoyed chilling now can't stand it

• Posted

so when I went for my 2 week check i had my stitches out and they just put a dressing on and boot, i didn't get an option.

The boot is lighter, i find it more comfortable to sleep in and only real issue which isn't an issue is it's bigger than the cast so having to adjust at first for that but its a small issue really. i try and get out a couple times a day to walk around on my crutches but as you probably all know that gets tiring.

I just can't wait to weight bare and get back to doing normal stuff asap, I'm very impatient.

• Posted

Yeah im the same, I've got a 5 month old baby so resting is difficult, and im used to being so active too! Always on the go so having to rest is alien to me!

Have you seen the scooters? I got one of those so I'm able to get out a bit easier without the hard work of crutches!

• Posted

I've seen the scooters but think i will just wait until i can weight bare. Only 2 and weeks away. I'm doing about 5k steps a day with just 1 leg with getting about my flat and going out for a couple of walks, other than that just the usual elevating like crazy.

It must be so difficult having a child, well done and keep going.

• Posted

Ahh youre doing really well! The crutches kill me off, I'm blaming poor upper body strength!

I had my 2 week check and they've put me in an aircast boot, but so confusing with all the weight bearing, he said 6 weeks NWB initially and then yesterday he said he might let me start sooner and I'm due to go back in a weeks time.

He literally grabbed my ankle and moved it through all ranges and I had zero pain so quite happy with that!

How did you find it when you started the ROM? I've started but feel more apprehensive as I'm anticipating pain that doesnt seem to happen

It's different being in the patient seat. Did you get any pain etc after starting? I feel like I can do more, mind over matter I feel!

• Posted

Hi,

I ran 20 miles a week and always in the gym so got good upper body strength and in good shape, probably helps with use of crutches.

So when i went for 2 weeks check it was just with consultant and stitches were taken out and i was put into a boot and NWB, im due back in just over a week to see consultant and start physio.

that will make it 6 weeks post op, exercise have been ok, can point away and towards myself but harder when pointing towards myself, make circles etc and been doing this everyday for last 3 weeks 3-4 times a day and no pain now, was achy at beginning.

• Posted

I hate the crutches too Anna, and zero upper body strength. I didnt use them while NWB...ive been zooming around the ground floor of my house on an office chair, it's worked a treat and I've been able to carry things!! I've kept the zimmer /walker upstairs for when to and from the bedroom to bathroom and been up and down the stairs on my backside for weeks now!

I got all clear to start weight bearing yesterday and reluctantly picked up the crutches, it's honestly so much easier when you can have the other foot down rather than hopping all over the place!

Hope you're coping OK!

• Edited

what a nightmare Georgia! poor you, i think they simply should had made the referral weeks ago so the appointments could have been brought forward in line with when you can start. It did worry me when you mentioned last week (think they'll do the same to me) so i did make contact with a private physio. If you can manage it i would say go for it, personally i dont think its too expensive and if you can get a couple sessions in early they'll leave you with some exercises to be going on with. We just need some pointers and some support to begin with dont we, how can they expect us just to get on with it?! What a joke!

adam it does sound like we've had similar experience /timeline so far....did you have trimalleolar fracture? i was 2, week in cast and 4 week in walking boot with ROM exercises, im back on Tuesday aft for my 6 week follow up and xray and hoping to get the ok to start weight bearing. Mine was a particular bad break by all accounts, one of the worst the consultant had seen. I was 8 days in hospital for swelling to disappear, surgery and out the day after on day 9. i was told id need 3 plates and wouldn't be walking for 6 months! when i woke up they managed with 2 plates and 10 screws....he admitted it wasnt quite as bad as they thought. Apparently I had 2 of the 3 best surgeons that could fix me in the end on the NHS so that was encouraging to hear. ! Its strange hearing everyones different experiences and timeframes. I think some surgeons still use different approaches. Im really hoping i get the go ahead Tuesday! it's gonna be a long weekend waiting!! keep in touch guys and Georgia dont let it get you down, if you can manage it speak to some physios yourself. image

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

my break wasn't as bad as yours by sounds of it.

I have 1 plate and 7 screws, no screw in ankle and just had 1 break in Fibula. I'm 4 weeks post op, 2 weeks in boot but NWB and i can move foot up, down, circles etc i do get a little ache after doing ROM but not had to take meds for weeks. i stopped taking any painkillers are 3 days post op.

i agree surgeon seem to have different approaches but as a whole any ORIF seems to be 6 weeks NWB as a rule from what I've read etc

• Posted

sounds like you're making good progress adam! when i do the rom exercises my ankle swells again and i can get some slight pain also. Im starting to get anxious about Tuesday now, such a long wait from 2-6 weeks for an update isnt it? I'll let ya know what is said when i get back- really hoping everything is healing well!!

• Posted

I hope so, i don't have much swelling, my ankle is a bit bigger than my good ankle naturally but have very little bruising (what little I have is yellow).

Yes the 2-6 week period is quite long and hoping to weight bare as soon as i go for my 6 week check.

Please do let me know, be interesting to see how you get on, although i feel your injury is different to mine

• Posted

back from my check-up- Im now in the weight bearing club!! healed well and 'can get going' Quite surreal he asked me to stand up and put all weight on my injured barefoot! i wasnt confident considering ive just done 8 week in total non weight bearing! so i put my moonboot back on and did it. My leg was like jelly to say the least. He said i no longer need the boot, but to use it for the next week or so until i am walking and then loose it, and said they didn't need to see me again! i asked about physio and he said that he could refer me. I told him not to bother and as id sorted my own out. All so strange considering how bad my injury was and he still kept referring to it as such! Just spoke to my physio who has given gentle instructions to walk about the house however makes me comfortable until Saturday and ive to report back to make an appointment for him to come help with my gait etc. How you getting on Georgia, I'm so nervous to try!

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

Wow that's great to hear but does sound dismissive considering your injury etc but i suppose now you are weight barring that's good. can i ask a few questions.

1. how long ago did you have the op?
      2. was you in a cast for the full 8 weeks or was some of it cast and some boot?
      3. how was your ROM going if you were in the boot?
      4. have they told you to continue with neds and if so what?
      5. have you been told to continue with crunches while learning to walk?

thanks, i have my 6 weeks post op check end of next week and hoping to weight bare then

• Posted

Hi Adam,

yes all quite dismissive to say the least but sadly what I anticipated happening anyway. I expect as you went private you will have much better after care!!

In all fairness I'm just happy to hear its healed well and will continue on my own with private physio.

1. My op was September 20th- 6 weeks ago yesterday. My accident/injury happened on September 11th.

2. I was in a temporary cast for 8 days prior to this because as well as my 3 breaks I also completely disclocated the stoopid thing so they needed to temporarily set the ankle straight before surgery. At my 2 week post op the cast was removed, stitches out and i was moved into an aircast boot for the next 4 weeks. I was told provided id healed by 6 weeks I could start weight bearing.

3. My range of movement is not great. My dorisflextion is the worst- i can just get to the where it sits naturally with my foot and I haven't been able to push past this to get my toes pointing up (if that makes sense) as the top of my ankle /foot hurts when i try. Plantar flexation fine, can point down no problems. Very small circles to the left ok and improving every few days, to the right very jerky and awkward.

4. meds, absolutely zero mention of them and im cross i forgot to ask about anti inflammatory considering the physio will now be starting. Although i did stop taking all meds a few days after surgery and haven't needed them since.

5. basically yes, told to use crutches or walker with aircast boot to begin with (if i wanted!) until i get confident- no clear instruction, with a suggestion that i should loose the boot altogether within the next week and to buy some Supportive trainers. (which my private physio recommends asics ones with gel supports btw) I was sent on my way with an a4 sheet of exercises!

1 thing i did get to the bottom of was i dont have that screw that 'snaps' as the surgeon went in at the back and apparently managed to avoid it that way so i was also happy to hear that.

So yes, i expect and certainly hope you will be much more looked after when you go next week!! How's it Feeling for you and how is your ROM going??

• Posted

Thanks Leanne,

like you when i go back end of next week it will be 8 weeks since breaking ankle and 6 weeks since the op.

I had backslab cast on the day i broke it and i had the op just under 2 weeks later. i then had a backslab cast for 2 weeks then stitches were taken out and put into a boot which will he 4 weeks end of next week so same time scale as you.

since i have had the boot everyday i have taken it off 3/4 times and done ROM exercises.

Pointing my toes towards me isn't perfect but as improved and not too bad. Pointing toes out forward is fine, circles going left (I broke my right ankle) is easier but circles left is harder but i can do it smoothly.

I don't really have any swelling only where plate is on the outside of my right ankle (fibula) as that's what i broke and didn't dislocate like you.

It's good you do not have the screw in the ankle, i didn't have that which is good as normally means that as to be taken out later down line.

In terms of meds, did you not have to inject yourself daily? if so have you now stopped that?

Adam

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

That's amazing! I'm so happy for you!

I'm shocked you have gone from NWB to full walking? I haven't done that with the boot on even still, I'm still 50% WB. How is it going? Does your leg feel strange?

I'm too scared to do anything without the boot on haha, it feels too fragile!

• Posted

Hi Georgia, its crackers isnt it?! i was a bit shocked with what i was told.

Having said that, I certainly wont be walking anytime soon! i tried few little baby steps last night in my moon boot with crutches (which ive also avoided using since day 1) and it wasnt good. Guessing i wasnt even putting 25% through it, my nwb leg was like jelly. Still i made a start! I took off my boot and tried standing in my socks and its clear to see I have a lot of work to do in regards ROM. It's definitely worse than i thought...my heel won't sit on the floor on my bad leg without been much further in front of my good leg, so my dorisflextion needs A LOT of work before i can do much more. So ive been stretching stretching today and will try again around the house with the boot and crutches. Thats all the physio told me to do for the first few days and do what i can and he'll assess me properly early next week. It feels strange having my foot to the floor but good at the same time. I must say its easier to use the crutches with been able to have my foot down a bit - i hated hopping on those things!

So absolutely got a looongggg way to go!

Sounds like you're taking your time and that's all you can do...and all i will be too!

We can, and we will do this!

• Posted

Hi,

When I came out of my cast my leg felt like jelly too haha but walking with the boot on helps that within a few days.

It just doesn't feel right that we have to start walking on our own having never done it before and with the extent of the fractures..

I just can't wait to walk up and down the stairs again hahaha!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.