Ankle orif recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I am new to this forum but have been reading lots over last couple mths. I slipped and fell on blk ice when walking and broke tib and fib on 16 feb - had orif 25 feb and cast removed 6 april. Am now nearly 3 weeks in aircast boot and putting more weight on it - but cant imagine that in another week and a half I will be able to fully weigt bear. Especially cant imagine walking without the boot - so nervous now as dont want to do anything and set myself back! Desperate to drive again as hate having to rely on people for lifts and school runs! Any stories of people transition to fully weight bearing and when can I expect to be walking properly and driving again - need a goal!!!! Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ktcoon, 

i am 3 weeks ahead of you in this road to recovery after dislocating my right foot, fracturing tib, fib and medial malleolus.  2 plates, 12 screws.  Camboot ( don't know how that differs from air boot) non weight bearing until 7 weeks. Commenced physio at 8 weeks.  Weight bearing with two crutches (elbow) from 7 weeks. Light weight bearing at first until I knew it wasn't going to give out on me lol. Very keen like yourself to drive as soon as possible and attempted it at 10 weeks in a car park just to see how I went and have been driving short distances  a few miles at a time subject to pain.  Automatic car but excellerator foot!  The surgeon did suggest that it is the brake you need to be confident with applying as that is what can be a problem in an emergency.  

My recovery has been compounded by quite severe nerve damage and heaps of pain issues, I am also in my sixties.  Given your talk of school runs I take it you are much younger, so I would say if I can walk unaided around the house now and only using 1 crutch on longer walks outside  I think you will surprise yourself with your progress out of the boot.  Don't forget even though you are out of the boot you have all the internal metal and healing of the bone should be complete at 6 weeks.  Love to hear how you go and hope this helps.  Surgeon warned I won't be as good as it gets for 14 months from injury.  As others on this forum have said we all heal differently.

• Posted

Hi - thank you for your response - gives me hope can drive in the not too distant future. Im 38 so wouldnt say young exactly - certainly dont feel it at the moment haha!!! I am hobbling at home on one crutch or no crutches but putting most weight on good leg! When have boot off i walk with 2 crutches but generally not putting much weight on bad foot. Im not in pain - but it feels wierd and pins and needles, and I think will be painful when fully weight bear! Is nice to have people here to talk to - i know everyones healing us different. Thank u again and will keep you posted.katy x
  • Posted

Hi.

Smashed ankle. Plates/screws on and up Tibia and fibula with 2 screws in inner ankle bone. With dislocation. Nearly 60, female.

Driving post op 6 MONTHS. Walking without any aids/ camboot at post op 5 MONTHS. Now post op 8 MONTHS STILL Can't walk far, have pain, especially in inner ankle bone as it not right due to losing a lot I fragments. Having physio and hydrotherapy with home exercises.

That's me but we all have different injuries/ bones/ ages/ etc.

You can't go on what someone else is doing. You will get their in YOUR time. Happy walking soon 🙂

• Posted

Thankyou for your response - very true we r all different and heal at different rates. Is nice to hear from people in same boat who know how frustrating this can be! Thanks katy x
  • Posted

Hi!! I broke my ankle, tib and fib back in December. I have a plate and 12 screws. I was non weight bearing for 2 months, in the boot for about 6 weeks and straight to walking. It's hard. I'm not gonna lie, but you have to do what you can. I'm having surgery next week to remove the inside screw and to clean out some of the bone fragments that are causing me a lot of problems. It will get easier for you, but don't try to do too much. Listen to your body. I jumped in head first and thought I could get back to chasing my kids and doing my Normal day to day routine but I found out quick that I wasn't ready for all of that. Good luck to you!!
    • Posted

Thank you - am def taking it slowly! If i could drive would be so much better but I guess until I can walk better without the boot then I wont be driving! Did you drive straight after your boot was off? Thanks katy x
    • Posted

I had my "driving" shoe in the car with me and I would take my boot off and drive. Driving wasn't really a problem, it was getting the shoe on and off. I know I shouldn't have driven so soon but I had to go back to work and I have small kids so it made things hard at times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.