Ankle ORIF - should I be walking better by now?

Posted , 12 users are following.

So glad I stumbled across this forum. I had ORIF surgery for Bimalleolar ankle fractures 5 months ago. I have a lot of pain and swelling if I walk more than 15-20 minutes. If I push it, the ankle is too sore to barely walk the next day. Being I'm over 50 I am assuming my healing time may take longer but this seems like forever! Should I be able to walk more by now without pain? I'm starting to lose hope that I'll be able to go for a nice long walk again.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

That is true. If the metal is not bothering you leave well enough alone. In my case I have stiffness and going down the stairs is one foot at a time because of stiffness. When metal is removed it will feel like I did before accident.

• Edited

I feel your pain. I am almost 5 months post-op with a plate and 7 screws on my fibula and a massive screw in my tibia plus the worst ankle dislocation of a 34 year old my surgeon had ever seen. I returned to work at the beginning of February for half days (teacher) and everything was find for a week and a half and then all of a sudden I started to get burning pain on the outside of my foot and the top. The pain is so bad that I haven't been to work in over a week and I can barely move without tearing up. I have a high pain tolerance but this is something I have never experienced before. I have been told to push myself and eventually the pain will go away but it's tough mentally to do that. I am finishing up my physio coverage so that worries me that I may not be able to work through the pain. It's such a mental game. I didn't expect this at all.

• Posted

I know what you are going through. Five months post op is still a time that you are not going be yourself. It really does take a year to feel pretty normal. The pain will lesson in time. I put on sneakers first thing in morning.I used a balance board like the one at pt. I found this really helped me. I don't use anymore. Good luck!

• Edited

i can totally relate, very similiar situation, im not soft but never known pain like it & its not pt pain. ive been referred back to consultant

• Posted

Holmshei sounds like we are on the same path! I agree "something I have never experienced before." I didn't expect this to still be so painful. It really interrupts your life. Sounds like we will get through this - eventually. Hang in there!

• Edited

I just asked today for a referral to a different surgeon for review. My original surgery was out of state but I feel like I would like a CT scan or at least a local top doc telling me I'm heading the right way. I'll post whatever I find out

• Edited

no i did not , once i started weight bearing i didnt have any pain or issues at all. you might want to see your doctor and do xrays and see if everything is ok with the ankle.

• Edited

Update: I am having the worse time with my posterior tibial tendon. If I walk 30 minutes it flares up in horrible pain which takes days to recover from. I'm so frustrated. Went today and purchased a shoe insert with arch support per my PTs suggestion. I feel like I am in a neverending ankle nightmare.

Anyone else have this issue after Ankle ORIF?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.