Ankle pain!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I’ve been on methotrexate for just over a year which has been increased from 10mg to 20mg. I also take sulfasalazine ( excuse the spelling!) and have done so for two months. The aches in my fingers and hands is much improved, but I’m still experiencing really achy ankles every evening. It’s the front part of both ankles. Is this a normal symptom of arthritis, and is it strange that my other aches have stopped (other than the odd flare up from time to time ), but my ankles continue to ache? Any ideas?! Thank you for any comments x 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I get aching leg pain that has nothing to do with arthritis but I get a lot of success by putting on a pair of compression socks. It might be worth trying that yourself and seeing if you get any results.
  • Posted

I think if the joint has erosions then there is a possibility that you may continue to have ache or pain. RA patients may eventually get osteoarthritis because the joint has some degree of damage by continuous inflammation from RA. Osteoarthritis pain is typically worse at the end of the day (after use), unlike RA pain which is typically worse in the morning. It might be a good idea for you to let your rheumy know.  
  • Posted

Hi. My experience is that RA can affect any joint. Mine began with 1 shoulder, 1 knee and base of thumb 4 years ago then rapidly became symmetrical and affected wrists, hands, fingers, toes and ankles as well. I was on mxt and sulfasalazine as well to begin with , but it wasn't sufficient to deal with the disease activity so after trying a third dmard I was put on a biologic which has worked wonders for me. Strangely enough- when this is wearing off its my ankles that complain first!

what I m trying to say is that RA affects each individual differently- and moves to different parts of the body( though hands most common) it can even affect throat, elbows  - so the ankle pain sounds like RA to me. Best advice I can give is don't suffer with pain. If it gets too much go back to the rheumy clinic and tell them the problem with the ankles. It's not going wrong- it's just the nature of this auto immune disease we have. There is always more they can do as long as you can tolerate the meds ok. 

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.