Ankle pain 24/7 MRI is clear, where do I go now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had ligament reconstruction surgery last June everything went well and signed off by consultant in September. In November started to swell again and lateral ankle and upper pain 24 /7. Can be dull or achey but sometines stabbing. Physio referred me back to Dr. Had a ulrasound in January with guided injection . They found bone change ( rough) and vascular irregularities. so then had an MRI done and had results today however told it was normal and nothing more can be done . I am glad nothing horrible was found but have no idea what to do now? Very frustrating as fed up with pain. Do I just wait & see if it gets better by itself or seek another opinion. Any advice gratefully received . Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was in a car accident hit by a school bus. my worst injury was a shattered right ankle. I have been chasing less pain ever since and after 4 surgeries, the last 2 were ankle fusion I have now stopped chasing and am trying to manage the pain. my foot was in a cast so long that my foot is 10 degrees to the right. when I had the 3rd surgery I vowed to never have surgery again until the bones wouldn't fuse and I couldn't walk at all for 6 months and was forced to have the 4th one. I think what I'm trying to say is that maybe give it more time a surgeon tells us the best case ..... not the worst. I wish I much luck and less pain.

good luck

kim

• Posted

I also continued to have pain although the MRI and CT showed that everything had healed. My surgeon said the pain was due to inflammation and prescribed a topical gel with an anti-inflammatory to apply to my ankle twice a day. I do that in combination with acetaminophen (paracetemol in the the UK) and that has helped. I also walk most of the time with a walker to take some of the weight off my ankle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.