Ankle pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

i went to see the surgeon today & he put me back to NWB for another three weeks. I’ve been PWB for four weeks in my boot & also sneaker but my ankle by my incision pains when I put pressure on it. I start back to work on Monday do that just added another degree of stress to my life. I hate NWB especially after you lived that way for nine weeks & now again. Why does this have to be so bloody difficult? I asked him about the hardware removal & he doesn’t want to do that as that will make it five times that ankle has been operated on. He thinks it will be less chance of a successful ankle fusion if we do. ):

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh geez Barb, that really stinks.  You have really been thru the wringer and you just don't seem to be able to catch a break.

I'm so sorry there's been no letting up of the misery you are going thru.

Have you given acupuncture a thought?  I was always averse to it but a number of years ago I had a herniated disc in my back and reluctantly tried it.  I found that it was very helpful, maybe it can relieve some of the pain you are living through.  Might be worth a try, wouldn't it be something if it actually gave you a bit of relief?

It must be a struggle to find anything positive in this mess, I wish I was able to say something that would make you feel better.

Do your best to hang in there Barb.  I'll be thinking of you smile

Deb

xo

• Posted

Hi Barb, 

Have you tried a knee scooter? It makes NWB sooooo much easier. It’s a little limited on rough terrain like gravel or grass, but I zip around the home on it and it’s wonderful!!! Get one with a basket so you can carry things too!! Crutches are such a pain because you can’t carry anything!!

I wish you well. Keep your chin up and don’t rush rehab. You’ll get there in the end!!

• Posted

Hi Barb, so sorry to hear that you're in pain again. I really hope that it starts to get better soon. I found it quite a big thing to accept a fusion in the first place and I'm not sure I'd feel too good if I felt my it was going backwards.  Jodi's suggestion of a knee scooter is good, I've got a knee walker myself (same thing but with a peg leg instead of wheels) and it is really good as it frees your hands up.

Try and stay positive cos it is a long haul back to fitness but it will be worth it in the end.  

Andy

• Posted

I used a Iwalk 2 also, it was the only way I could get up stairs.  Works better if you have good balance.  I used the knee scooter also.  I just started with my boot yesterday, such freedom after being NWB.
  • Posted

Barb, I am so sorry for your situation.  I strongly agree that a knee stroller would help you, especially if you are going back to work on Monday.  It does free your hands and requires much less effort than crutches or a walker.  Definitely get one with a basket.

Being NWB has been the most difficult aspect of my recovery from a trimalleolar fracture on 9/7. Sometimes I tell myself to just make it through the day, then if I get really depressed, I tell myself to just make it through the next hour. Then, be sure to treat yourself with kindness. Take fifteen minutes to just focus on something you like and enjoy, whether it is a favorite book, a cup of tea, a puzzle, etc.  Today, I watched the light change in my room as the sun came up. It took a few minutes and I could ponder the changes in the light that I had never had time to notice before.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for the encouragement as I sure need it. On the positive side, I had acupuncture today during Physio thanks to the suggestion of Deb (thank you Deb). I will get two a week so here’s hoping. 

Also, I rented a knee scooter today so hopefully my life just got a whole lot easier if it doesn’t kill me first. 

I really appreciate the encouraging words & helpful suggestions. I will check in later & let you know how I’m doing on my scooter. 

• Posted

Hey Barb,

You are very welcome...I pray that this will be a helpful tool that helps you recover, or at the very least, helps you cope with the pain.

Here's to you, you are very brave !  

Please let me know how you are doing, I will be sending positive thoughts your way,

Best,

Deb

• Posted

Good luck with the knee scooter Deb! Don’t go too hard as you’ll be using a whole lot of new muscles, so quads might be sore for a couple days but push through it, it’s worth it. 

Thinking of you.

Jodi

• Posted

Sorry that was for Barb not Deb. I’m sure you worked it out 😂

Must be too many painkillers!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.