Ankle pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle 2 years ago. I have a metal plate in my leg. I did have 2 screws in my ankle. They were taken out 1 year. I am still in pain with my ankle pain. I have been discharged from the hospital. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

How did you do with the boot? I am 3 wks in with a tri fracture. It happened 12/23, had surgery 12/24, stayed in hospital 5 days. Got discharged 12/28,. Went back to doctor 01/9, and had splinter taken off, only to be replaced with the boot. I hate the boot with a passion. I also have six screws on one side, 1 plate and one screw on the other side. What I want to know is how to deal with the boot.
    • Posted

I got on with the boot . It was ok ok but I after a few weeks in it . I hated it . I just hate being in pain. I found it hard to get to sleep at night 
  • Posted

I hated the boot from the start. I'm constantly taking it off. I've only had the boot 6 days and i hate it. I wonder will taking it off a lot will hinder my progress.? The doctor said sleep in it, but I just can't do it.

• Posted

I took it off at night time and only worn it when I was walking on it 
  • Posted

By not sleeping in the boot, will it hinder the progress?
    • Posted

I asked my doctor exactly that question because I hated my boot.  The plate and incision were so uncomfortable with the pressure of it.  The first two weeks, I had pain and then by the last two it was just discomfort.  My doctor gave me the answer I wanted which was that my plate and screws were holding the ankle in proper alignment and that the boot was merely for protection so I was protected from injury (dog jumping on ankle etc.).  So he said if I felt comfortable and safe out of the boot, it was fine.  I ditched it at night immediately after hearing that and when I was just on my couch I was never wearing it.  Week 8 I was allowed to weight bear, but again he recommended wearing the boot because the ankle would be weak.  It was a bit uncomfortable, but not impossible so I wear it out and to work, but then carry a sandal and sock to change into if I know I will be sitting in one place for awhile.  I do not have any pain from it rubbing the plate and incision anymore.  I am soon to start week 9 and plan to go totally bootless!!!  So, check with your doctor- my injury was a spiral ankle fracture.  A long and frustrating experience, but I can say as I enter week 9 that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Hang in there everyone!!!!
  • Posted

I am just miserable with this boot. I'm miserable all the way round by being so dependent on people.

• Posted

Lauren, I had/have the same feeling about the boot. For the first 7 weeks I was non weight bearing and instructed to wear boot 24/7. My doctor insisted the boot was essential not just for protection but to hold my foot in a certain healing position.  He did say I could take it off to air foot and wiggle toes. I did that a lot when resting in my recliner. But my sleep at night in a bed was awful. I tried lots of things including sleeping at night in my recliner but nothing helped. At week 4 I said the heck with sleep deprivation and slept at night with the boot off.

What really really helped me with the swelling and pain was wearing support/compression socks 24/7. Not the super tight ones like in the hospital but a medium compression like many people that work on their feet use.

I have been allowed to weight bear and walk with the boot for a week now. Absolutely miserable painful experience and the boot has been a danger for me falling because the length of one leg is so much longer. Two things have helped, I put a wad of quilting batting under my heel. Don’t use foam because that might change the way or boot holds your foot. Next I make sure to always wear a good traction shoe on good ankle (no slippers) and if I leave the house I strap a shoe leveler on to even up my legs. Amazon carries one called evenup-essential to safely walk as well as saves you from hip and back pain. I’m counting down, 4 more weeks in the boot full time! Good luck! You mostly just have to accept and just push through.

• Posted

I also work 3 days a week as a career in a care home for the elderly who have dementia  for 6 and half hours . 
    • Posted

I am just fed up with myself as I can not do much walking  as I am in pain. I am thinking about getting a second opinion from a other orthopaedic doctor 
    • Posted

How many weeks since your surgery?  I was not allowed to walk for 6 weeks.   Would not have wanted to- it would have hurt!!!!
    • Posted

I'm only 3 weeks. I'm just so frustrated.

• Posted

Yes frustration is huge!!!!! And sad to say that 3 weeks is early yet.  Do not weight bear until a doctor says you can- you definitely do no want to prolong your recovery.  You just have to accept that it is not a quick heal and try to make the best of it.  I rented a knee scooter so at least I could ditch my crutches at times and zoom around a bit.  I binge watched Downton Abby and loved it- I never usually can watch TV.  I read a lot.  I sulked a bit for sure!!!  But, like I said - I am entering week 9 and feeling so much better!   Have been walking for 4 days, only 3 more with my boot and physio starts tomorrow so I can build up strength and flexibility.  There honestly is an end in sight!!!!  Hang in there!
    • Posted

I am sorry Lauren!  That is definitely too long to still have pain.  I would be visiting an orthopedic doctor for sure.  Perhaps it is a physio matter and you need to strengthen the surrounding muscles and tendons.  Hopefully it is not another surgery!  My surgeon told me the reason I needed surgery to fix my fracture is to avoid pain in the ankle down the road - ankle arthritis he called it.  I hope he was right!
    • Posted

Well I guess you have that covered!  I start my physio today and cannot wait to get some exercises to get this ankle back to working.  I find that my calf muscle is weak too, from sitting on the couch for 7 weeks!  I hope a good doctor can sort out why you still have pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.