Ankle pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is anyone still taking pain medicine? My surgery was 3 weeks ago,they basically re built my ankle. I got my cast off yesterday and was put in a full length brace/boot with a knee immobilizer. My ankle and toes will not stop burning,it's horrible. My dr gave me one more week of pain meds and that's it. I don't know what to do. Any ideas on what might help??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea, my surgery for a triple fracture was 2 and a half weeks ago. I have screws and a plate in my ankle. The drs first took my back slab off 10 days after the op and put me in a boot. I then had horrible pain

. It turned out the boot was premature and I was put back in plaster for a week. During that week I had very little pain so took.painkillers mainly at night. Today I had stitches out, plaster off and now in.the boot for 4 weeks. I was not given any painkillers but I will take paracetemols and codein prescribed earlier if I get pain. I think that doctors prefer to go easy with dishing out painkillers 3 weeks plus after surgery. Taking paracetemols long term is probably ok but NOT ibubrofen. Btw, I also get burning and shooting pain. I believe it is normal.

Take care. Anna

• Posted

Thank you Anna! I put pain patches on my toes and knee to try to ease the pain. That burning is horrible!
  • Posted

Dear Andrea

Six weeks ago I had a Zenith prosthesis removed and a Wright Invision prosthesis installed in a six hour operation.

I was kept in hospital for ten days and was on an antibiotic drip for all the time as cover. I turned down the anticipaed amount of pain meds and although I was home was some morphine based ones have only take two I think and very few Paracetamol pain killers.

I started partial weight bearing a week ago and have been experiencing some sharp twinges but not enough to reach for any pain meds. I'm told these twinges are normal when one starts to use the ankle after six weeks. I hope this helps. Richard

• Posted

I'm 9.5 weeks post op and still taking pain killers you're a long way off from pain relief 

• Posted

Thank you all so much. I am keeping my leg elevated. I'm hoping this pain will get better. I am emailing my orthopedic dr about the pain medicine.

• Posted

Dear Andrea

Obviously the option of using ice is not possible but if you are not elevating your leg above the level of your heart then I suggest that you try it. Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.