Ankle pain after Achilles reconstruction

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an Achilles reconstruction with a tendon replacement last November, I was 6 weeks in a cast none weight bearing and 7 weeks in air boot with some weight bearing, I am now in shoes but have limited mobilty and alot of pain in the ankles and across the top of my foot where it flexes, My NHS physio just talks to me about exercises but nevereven looks at my foot, is it normal to be having this pain, I did fall over a month ago and sprained my ankle.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I tore my achilles on the 4th april last year, so almost a year has passed, I saw my physio today who was pleased with my progress albeit very slow, I too have very tight muscles at the front of the foot and not much flexion, you just have to stick with exercises, your physio should be looking at your foot, if you can afford it try some alternative exercises, I also do pilates and swear by it. It takes a long while to get back, it's just how it is. We will all get there in the end Janet.
    • Posted

Thanks Odette, I'm a postie so need to be right before I can think about going back to work, I'm also thinking of seeing a private physio.

• Posted

I too had a job where I walked all day long in a warehouse, lifting heavy boxes, quite physical and full on, I had 7 month's off work and now am not able to lift for 6 months, they have given me a desk job for the moment, but i still walk around to keep the leg supple. I think a private physio would be a great idea.
  • Posted

Hi Janet,

I too have dull aches and pains. Sometimes worse than other days but always there. I also get spasms, think that due to the nerves being torn. Can't say I have had pain across the front of the foot mostly the back area.

Would have thought your physio should be looking at it, but then my physio didn't much with mine.

• Posted

Thanks carolyn, I have an appoinment book to see a private physio for an assessment so hopefully he'll give me some more help.

• Posted

Janet I forgot to say I also get pain across the front of my foot, my flexion up towards the shin is really poor, and my side tendons also ache, I have a knot of something under my arch, I have pain through the knee when I walk upstairs, but I know that niggles do get better the more time passes and you persist with physio, sometimes when you work the calf alittle more than usual it protests, but this is also the calf getting used to functioning again. I also fell over today at the cinema, am just waiting to see what happens.....
    • Posted

Thanks Odette,When I walk my toes seem to  go into spasm and turn up wards not sure if its normal but I have physio on Wednesday and will ask her, See if she wants me to show her or whether it'll be another case of oh just do this exercise!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.