Ankle Pain for 8 weeks +

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had ankle pain in my left ankle just below the ankle bone and travelling from the outside of my foot inwards along where the foot bends with the leg. (Hope that gives enough description)

I have been going to Physio for it in which they repeatedly wrapped it, and did ultrasound. The pain presented after a 6km run, I am not the most active person but I've never had problems running 6-8kms. I don't remember twisting my ankle on the run. There has never been any bruising or swelling. Walking definitely aggrivates the pain, going up stairs is probably the worst next to any sort of high impact (Running).

I just had xrays done looking for possible stress or micro fractures, and they came back apparently negative. (I am getting a second opinion) My physiotherapist was pretty sure it was not tendon or ligiment damage due to the location of the pain.

Because of the length of time and lack of definite answers I'm becoming increasingly frusterated and I am hoping maybe someone on here has another idea of what could be wrong. If you need anymore info I can try and answer your questions. Thank you!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am having significant problems also with medical people . I have ruptured my ligament off the bone and took some bone with it. Have just been left with crutches still can't weight bare etc. anyway x Ray don't show very well for soft tissue injuries eg: ligaments and tendons u need. A CT scan or MRI to show soft tissue injuries. My X-ray didn't even show my chipped bone. Go to GP and request a CT this will show if there's any damage to any ligaments tendons and bones etc. if ur concerned keep asking until someone will help you! Best of luck
  • Posted

I am not a doctor but using common sense and my experience after ankle injury and surgery, I believe that diagnosis can be easier made after a severe injury than after a run or after an exercise. After a severe injury, they X-ray the ankle looking for fractures or breaks and they will either find it or not find it. It is tough diagnosing soft tissue damage. My surgeon determined the extent of ligament damage AFTER he cut into my angle and that was when he decided to drill the extra long screw and the operation took three hours rather than an hour and a half. You need an expert here to determine damage with certainty rather than guessing. In my area, which is the Midwest USA, Northwestern Medical, Rush Medical, and Mayo Clinic are pioneers. Check into this and do diligent research to determine what is needed with a high degree of certainty. Best wishes to you. Nick
  • Posted

My original stress fracture only eventually showed up on an MRI as the X-ray missed it so I walked on it for 3 months which didn't help! My ligament inflammation only showed up on an ultrasound scan which occurred as I was walking wrongly because of the fracture. I was swelling a bit though in the beginning which got worse !! Eventually couldn't weight bear at all. Resolving slowly now 6 months on thankfully! Ankles and feet are complex things . Wishing you luck -as it's very frustrating and you don't want to aggravate an injury.
    • Posted

What were your symptoms, I think I may have fractured my ankle I hurt it five weeks ago, still slightly swollen, bad pain, numbness and licking but xray clear
    • Posted

I walked on a fracture for 4 months as the X-ray was clear ! They eventually saw it on an MRI by which time had over compensated and caused other foot problems - then air cast boot - but then I managed to roll my ankle in the boot going over on it / so back to square one with severe bruising in the bone itself and a host of other things !!! Needed an infusion intravenously to get rid of edemas .. Non weight bearing / stick / wheelchair nightmare for months though but am now walking my dog do don't stress ! I hope yours isn't too serious . We all have been and are going through it here that's for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.