Ankle Pain Please Help..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, my names Austin. I had just recently gotten ankle surgery for a broken ankle. 3 screws and a metal plate. Im currently taking prescription painkillers but my biggest problem is sleeping. The pain is unbearable especially late at night. Its currently 4:29 am and ive only gotta 2 full hours of sleep this past day. Its been 3 days since surgery and even when elevating my foot it still hurts. Can anyone shed some light and help me out? Btw this is my first time going through this...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Austin, I had the same kind of surgery in late March. I, too, had problems sleeping and for 3 to 5 days after the operation a lot of pain. I assure you that the intensity of pain decreases although sleeping with a keg un plaster is clearly more difficult. I learnt to sleep on my back which I hardly ever did before my accident and slept with my leg elevated on two pillows. I am now nearly 9 weeks post surgery and walk without crutches. You will, too but it is a bit of a long haul.
  • Posted

Hi Austin, 

Your so new into this and it is going to take you some time to get over this first hump. Well the first hump is the injury!  I do recommend going on Amazon if you can and buy yourself a wedge for your legs. I didn't do this for the first two surgeries and did for my 3rd, and what a difference it has made! 

Keep taking those pain meds with your Tylenol or what your doc gave you. Trust the process even though its painful. One day you will wake up and say.. "Hey, I don't need that, I can just take the Tylenol!" Baby steps!!

Good luck!

Rose

• Posted

Hi Austin.

I had 2 plates with screws & 2 long screws inner ankle bone. I was in unbelievable pain and I mean PAIN !!  I though giving birth was bad, but compared to my ankle , the other was a somewhat mild headache. Press that buzzer and keep pressing until someone gives you something. I was clenching my teeth so not to verbally scream out. Fortunately I was given pain relief each time I needed it. I was given morphine. I was ok until the block wore off and then it was like hell on earth. The good news is... This too shall pass. Don't put up with the pain. PRESS THAT BUZZER until you get that pain relief and you will. 🙂

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon. My dr wants to fuse my ankle, left foot. It’s not broken it’s just very pronated inward so I am now flatfoot. I just thought this was drastic. Not being able to move my foot sideways  , but just up and down. But promises no more pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.