Ankle Pain post Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I had plates, screws and pins put in my ankle back in December. All was going well until this past week when I started getting horrific pain surrounding my ankle and heel. I cannot put any weight on it or move my ankle at all. No painkillers will touch the pain. Is this normal at all?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ebony, I'm sorry that you are having pain. Are you allowed to weight bearing at this time? Well I had plates and screws put in in February and my ankle and heel hurts. I'm new to this but my friend broke her ankle last year and she said when it's cold outside your ankle will hurt, but she said that you will experience pain for a while but it took 5 months for her pain to slight go away. I think it's normal because I am still experiencing pain in my ankle and my heel. I take ibuprofen 800 and I put ice on it for 20 mins, but with a sock on. I hope this work and I hope you feel better!

• Posted

Are you in physio...Perhaps it has seized up..I would check with physio or surgeon..I had surgery ,,broke my ankle in 2 places and dislocated it ....my physio was cancelled because of Covid 19..I managed to find another one and because of it my ankle had jammed up..That much pain does not sound good,,,get it checked out

• Posted

Hi

I had screws and a plate put in my ankle to fuse it on 20/11/2019. I have been up and without any pain since end of February 2020. It's not normal to have an ankle going well and then suddenly you have horrific pain....it's just not part of the healing process to have such pain after it went well. Unless you hurt or damaged the ankle without realizing it, I would suggest you get a professional opinion ASAP.

Regards

Leon

• Posted

Ask see a doctor.

Could be nerves comming back.

Is it looking OK..

If in doupt see trained people for pro opinean.

Has it healed up nice on outside.

Elavate foot stop swelling take tablets at at 4 hr intervals build up the pain releaf.

Ask to speak to fracture clinic thay will give you the right advice.

Please keep posting.

Take care.

• Posted

thank you everyone for your responses. It's 6 months post surgery and I've actually been discharged from the hospital and physio due to the COVID-19 outbreak. I was walking again without any walking aids and suddenly this week my ankle just went funny. It looks normal, but the pain is all in my heel now and its really bizzare.

• Posted

hi ebony!

I'm 7 weeks post op ankle surgery and have screws and plates.

unfortunately from everything i have heard from my surgeon and physical therapist, during the healing process you are supposed to gradually feel better, and then there can be more pain again as you start weight bearing which should subside with time.

i also think you should get it checked out asap, as you are so far along post op - having severe pain at this time just isnt something ive heard is normal.

keep us posted! i hope everything is okay!

• Edited

It doesnt sound normal after all these months but I would definitely call the doctor

Some discomfort is normal but severe pain like you are describing that doesnt respond to pain meds doesnt sound right

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.