Ankle pain when full weight bearing after broken tibia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have broken my tibial plateau and after a few months of complications and having my leg operated on I have been given the go ahead to fully weight bear. Since doing so I have gotten very bad pain in my foot and ankle. I just want to know if this is common? I Injered myself on my bike due to an impact fracture and I'm a bit worried I have done damage to my foot as well but it hasn't been picked up on. I have consulted physio and they have said it's normal but it's stopping me from being able to fully weight bear due to the pain. Thanks for the help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you icing whenever you can??  If not, try it for pain management as you heal!  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you, I have an ice pack but honestly I haven't been icing it. I will try this! Thank you again smile

• Posted

Unfortunately it's still quite painful. I have got some stronger pain killer and booked in a closer appointment for the hospital smile

• Posted

Hi Conor

Sorry to hear about your pain.  I can't give you any advice but I thought it may help you to understand if I tell you my experience. 

I was was involved in a accident when I was 15 (now 71).  One of the injuries was a broken tibia and fibia.  I had a hip replacement 22 months ago and I'm now having problems with damaged nerves in my foot on the same side.  I've been told by the orthopaedic surgeon that it is caused by the tibial nerve after the break 56 years ago and there is nothing they can do.

I hope you have more luck and keep insisting on getting a answer from a consultant.  Keep in touch and let us know if you get any satisfaction.

All the best Brenda

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for letting me know, this does sound interesting. I will speak to my physio, I did have an mri and ct scan with dye to check my muscles but it was mostly on the leg and not my foot. I am seeing my physio Friday so I'm going to talk to him more. Thank you again and all the best with your leg and foot! smile

• Posted

Just to let anyone know who may have the same issue. I went to an appointment today and had my foot x-rayed and bone is fine. Both the physio and doctors have said it's the transition between partial weight bearing and full weight bearing. It seems my muscles although very painful need to readjust and the bone needs to get used to the weight also.

Thank you to everyone that helped smile

• Posted

Hello conor i had an accident 4 months ago i got 3 screws in my tibial bone now my Doctorr told me to start bearing full weight on the leg. Its been 10 days i have started a walking but i’m having pain on the upper side of foot. Please tell me how long it will it take a time to get normal ?

i feel intense pain in my foot so i cannot walk without limp? 

Waiting for your reply 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.