Ankle pops when rotating and other movements

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening everyone!

I am 7 months post op and have posted on here a few times and have gotten some really good advice!

Every time i rotate my ankle in a circle or raise my ankle, i get popping sounds and ususlly pain comes with it and pain in my achilles. As well, when i point my toes downward, i get sharp shooting pains in my surgical site, which im guessing is normal.

What im wondering is,has anyone else had the popping in the ankle snd achilles pain, and any idea what it could be?

Thanka for your help in advanced.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I too have the popping. I was dishcharged from PT last week. (It's not something that will go away that quickly) some exercises I was told to do were to do bilateral heel lifts and then lower down by the affected ankle as tolerated/able. I was also given a lunge thing where I lunge forward, diagonal, to the side, and then to the back. The Achilles is the worst part for me. It just needs to be stretched back to normal again because it shrank so much when I wasn't walking. I also wonder if my plate with the screws doesn't cause some of the popping from placement. I'm not entirely sure. I'm curious to see what other have to say. It generally feels more warmed up and better after exercises.  

• Posted

Hi Matthew it’s been almost 7 months for me too with ankle surgery and u r right I also feel popping sound whenever I woke up or when u move u r ankle in circle I don’t know why bug when I walk with few steps than it comes to normal . I still have swelling whenever I work or stand for few hours. Nd yes it hurt sometimes from the surgical area . I also don’t know what else I can to get back my ankle back in normal condition 
  • Posted

Hi Matt,

In recovery from an ankle sprain/fracture, I occasionally hear a pop or snap sound when I flex the ankle and foot. It actually feels good (no pain). I believe it is caused by a healing tendon moving around and releasing tension or fluid/gases in its tissue sheath.

According to Dr. Luks, there are a number of reasons ankles pop, including:

Ankle instability caused by a chronic ligament injury

A tendon snapping over ankle bones. Or because ligaments were stretched or loosened by injury, the ankle bones are not held tight by ligaments and slop around.

OCD or Osteochondritis Dessicans: There is a loose bone in ankle

Sometimes ankles make sounds and there is no identifiable medical reason for it

If your ankle is healing properly I would think the popping would go away on its own eventually.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Good evening!

I have read into it abit and did see that those were some possibilities of an ankle that pops.

Each time it pops, it is a throbbing pain and everytime my surgucal site cracks or point my toes down, it is a sharp shooting pain, so not sure what it all could be.

Hope things get better for each of you, have a good night!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.